X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: temperature affecting cases

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you left the case in a trunk that is 10 degrees for 10 hours, then took it straight inside to 70-ish degree temperatures and opened the case you could have major problems with the guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you let it sit in the new warmer temperature you'd be fine, right?

James

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Like I mentioned the case slows down the affects of outside temperature....this applies whether its really cold, really hot, or the ideal room temperature. As far as how long to tell ya to wait in this scenario, it's hard to say because as I had mentioned it depends on the thickness of the case, what it is made of, etc. The time would defintely be in the hours, though.

Comment

Whenever I had to take my guitar to a gig, I put it in the passenger compartment of the car, just so that it would not be subjected to the extremes of a 70 degree house, a 20 degree trunk (during winter), and then a 70 degree club, all within the course of an hour or so. I would also arrive to the gig about an hour or so early (if the gear was already set up), flip open the latches on my guitar case, but not open it for 15-20 minutes. That way, it could adjust pretty quick, but no immediate changes.

Just use a little (not so) common sense. You don't leave your dog (or kids) in the trunk of the car on a hot or cold day (or on any day hopefully!!). Don't do it to your guitar either.

If your guitar has been in a very hot or very cold area for an extended period, DEFINITELY let it sit in a moderate temperature area for a few hours before you open the case!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        If you left the case in a trunk that is 10 degrees for 10 hours, then took it straight inside to 70-ish degree temperatures and opened the case you could have major problems with the guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you let it sit in the new warmer temperature you'd be fine, right?

James

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Like I mentioned the case slows down the affects of outside temperature....this applies whether its really cold, really hot, or the ideal room temperature. As far as how long to tell ya to wait in this scenario, it's hard to say because as I had mentioned it depends on the thickness of the case, what it is made of, etc. The time would defintely be in the hours, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the large, really padded gig bags offer a similar level of protection?

James

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Whenever I had to take my guitar to a gig, I put it in the passenger compartment of the car, just so that it would not be subjected to the extremes of a 70 degree house, a 20 degree trunk (during winter), and then a 70 degree club, all within the course of an hour or so. I would also arrive to the gig about an hour or so early (if the gear was already set up), flip open the latches on my guitar case, but not open it for 15-20 minutes. That way, it could adjust pretty quick, but no immediate changes.

Just use a little (not so) common sense. You don't leave your dog (or kids) in the trunk of the car on a hot or cold day (or on any day hopefully!!). Don't do it to your guitar either.

If your guitar has been in a very hot or very cold area for an extended period, DEFINITELY let it sit in a moderate temperature area for a few hours before you open the case!!

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. Pretty much what I do. Truck is the worst place, especially in the winter IMHO.
          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
          X