when guitar world was good........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: when guitar world was good........

I had a sub to the big 3 back in the day. I liked GP and blame that for GAS now as it had reviewed alot of gear moreso than GFTPM or GW. Yeah I liked the diverse kind of music and musicians it covered, whereas GFTPM and GW seemed more trend oriented which at the time was cool because I dug shred and metal.

Comment

What is really weird is, I thought Nirvana sucked back in the day, but now I actually like some of their old stuff. Much better than alot of the stuff coming out now where they all sound the same. Jack.

Comment

sound garden was a good grunge band

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I had all subs to three of the big mags (GW, GP, GFTPM) at one time or another in the pre-grunge era.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone remember the Guitar School mag? which later morphed into Maximum Guitar if memory serves, then it disappeared. I used to get that one too. There've been a bunch over the years,..another one my friend subscribed too was more into the equipment and less on artists, called maybe Guitar Shop?, it sounded kinda cool but they stopped making it before I could subscribe.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Yeah, Guitar School was great. I still have a bunch of issues of that one too.
            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Yeah I think it was called Guitar Shop. I bought a few of those issues and it was a good gear review mag. Not sure how long that magazine lasted but for some reason I think I would have continued to buy it if it were available. Who knows?

Comment

What really annoys me is that I have to pay (for me) alot of money for a guitar mag, then its half ads!! How does that work? Sometimes I dont mind the ads, if they are cool ones, but I think if you pay, they dont need all the dumb ads.

Comment

Didn't GFTPM and Guitar Shop morph to form Guitar One?

[ QUOTE ]
                  What really annoys me is that I have to pay (for me) alot of money for a guitar mag, then its half ads!! How does that work? Sometimes I dont mind the ads, if they are cool ones, but I think if you pay, they dont need all the dumb ads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Subscribe. You can get a ton off of the cover price. Magazines are mostly driven by advertising. Without ads, the magazines wouldn't exist or the price would be really enormous. Actually, I would venture to guess that publishers make very little off of the actual magazine itself...especially on subscriptions. But they like subscriptions and cut their margins thin because they lock people in for a certain amount of time. This allows more solid circulation numbers to show to advertisers and potential advertisers.

By the way, regarding magazines that don't have ads...is Tone Quest still around? They promoted it as ad-free, but it was uber-expensive! Even subscriptions were super expensive if I remember correctly.

Comment

MEGADETH!!!
                    \oo/. .\oo/ @ www.jacksonguitars.com

Comment

NEWC.."I have tons of those books, and threw away a half-ton from the 90s featuring 90's Grunge and other crap bands I didn't care about.

Still got the good ones, though, and all the posters."

Yep Same here...I gave up my subscription in the mid 90's..when the likes of a Wes Borland used to grace the cover...I couldn't take it no more...what a friggin' joke...especially when trying to take a dump...ever try taking a dump with Wes Borland lookin at you!

I must say that since geetar is "cool" again..I do see a resurgeance of shred coming back ...Kids were deprived of Rock/Guitar for too long...it had to come back..eventually..

I'm just enjoying it now while it lasts..before some other GAY trend will kill it..

It's not where it used to be..maybe it will be.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Dave Mustaign is great to have on the cover when your crapping.

Comment

"Dave Mustaign is great to have on the cover when your crapping."

Yes pooping with my heroes always makes it a easier experience..

Trying to Crap when any of those Nu-Fags on the cover always made by bowels lock up..it was almost a horrible as those players themselves..

I would see fags like that while listening to Uli, LaRoque, Drover, Loomis, Roy Z, Frank Marino and etc etc...you know REAL guitar players...that never on that fuggin' cover..

It was like GW was a friggin' Teen beat for 16 year old kids to jack off to the likes of Kid Rock (poor guy suffers from down syndrome) or whatever MTV was spoon feedin' them..

Does Kid Rock even fuggin' Play guitar..I mean really??

Uli is virtually Unknown while Tommy Lee is on a guitar mag cover...ahhhh fuck you! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I agree with you Horns. I cant count the number of times I have pooped with Dave Mustaign. I always have old guitar mags in my bathroom.

Comment

Watch out, Tommy Lee got his ass kicked by Eminem's "crew" for talking shit about Kid Rock [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://www.wwtdd.com/images/tommy.shtml

-a

Comment

Uh, this is when GW was GOOD!
                                '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                                '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                                '98 PRS Custom 22
                                '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Working...
                                X