Newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie questions

Hi, I'm brand new to the forum. Some of you may recognize me from the Dean forum. Just some questions in a thirst for knowledge.

In a nutshell, why should I play a Charvel over a Fender; a Jackson over others?

Are there any particularly coveted models or years of Charvels, and why?

My music preferences are classic rock, instrumental rock (Satch, Becker, etc). thanks, --Joe

Re: Newbie questions

Originally posted by Ragnut:
    Hi, I'm brand new to the forum. Some of you may recognize me from the Dean forum. Just some questions in a thirst for knowledge.

In a nutshell, why should I play a Charvel over a Fender; a Jackson over others?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's all personal preference. Jacksons and Charvels are both known for giving outstanding bang for the buck vs. most other makers.

Are there any particularly coveted models or years of Charvels, and why?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, the USA made San Dimas and Ontario Charvels and Jacksons are the most sought after. The imports from the 80's/early 90's are killer, as well.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

There are plenty of reasons why you might (or might not) prefer a Jackson/Charvel over a Fender or other brand. Personally, it comes down to neck profile and appearance for me. I'm sure that, if properly modified, I could get the sound I want out of a Fender Strat, but I don't like the Strat neck. I really struggled as a lead player until I got my first Jackson, but the thin neck and wide fretboard changed everything.
      sigpic

Comment

Welcome Ragnut!

This forum is a great info source, but getting ahold of a Jackson and/or Charvel
        is really the best way for you to decide
        if they're for you.

Fender has added many options that people
        once had to go to C/J for, like Floyds,
        humbuckers, etc... but may have not done so if they hadn't seen a chunk of the market going with Charvel/Jackson. They
        still haven't gone so far as to offer
        neckthroughs, except through the Custom Shop, and they did some in the 80s and 90s but dropped them. Funny though, you
        can get neckthrough Squiers, but not "real" Fenders, in the production models!
        That's rather odd to me.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X