great white band/night club fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: great white band/night club fire

It's beyond me how anyone can make a joke about any tragedy let alone one that caused so many deaths ... Then again .. I guess that's to be expected of a young teen such as yourself .. in the future please try and exercise some better judgement before posting and maybe have a little compassion for the many killed and injured people ..
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

EDIT. Apology accepted.

[ February 23, 2003, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

oh settle down guys. i mean't nothign mean at all. humor is just my way of coping with ****. ok i edited it.im sorry if i offended anyone. their souls are off in a better place now. even though it was probably too soon for them . my apologies about my comment's again go ahead and say about me what you wanna say. ill take resposiblity for my actions

[ February 22, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Explorer77 ]

Comment

It is a Tragedy and the victim's and their families have my empathy. But unless Tragedy hits me or someone I know personaly how could I honestly say that I share these emotions of grief. To say that would be hypocritical and phony....

I learned the hard way that you can not get this emotional for every tragedy and victim that comes your way....Otherwise you would go absolutely mental..

It's a shame nonetheless but let's keep things in perspective...

Also for someone to wish this onto another is a major Piece of $hit in my book ...and my book is the only one that matters as far as I'm concerned , even if you don't agree with their humor or views....I beleive that is in more bad taste than a joke , a joke that was deleted before I saw this post

I'm sure some goof will take this out of context ...per usual

[ February 22, 2003, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm with ya, Bill....

First off, Ian's a kid! I didn't read his post, but he edited it and apologized
            immediately upon complaints. That's more
            than many of us would've done when WE were his age. Wishing a fiery death on him is as bad or worse than whatever he said, because you're purporting to be an
            adult, then wishing death by fire on a kid!

Second, I think what we really feel is a
            deep sense of someone "walking on our graves" because those people died doing what we love to do. We identify with them, and it's horrifying, but to think we feel what the victims' families and friends are feeling is just ridiculous!
            We have a great empathy and sadness for them, but for them grief is at the state
            of madness, not just sadness. If you've
            ever lost a loved one in a horrible and
            unexpected way (I have), you understand.
            If you haven't, then you don't understand
            and I hope you never do.

Having said that, I do pray for those victims, who were human sacrifices on the
            altars of greed and neglect.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

very well said dude [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

especially the greed and neglect part. We have a dickhead by the name of Mitch here in Cleveland that is probably the CEO Greed & Neglect inc... [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

[ February 22, 2003, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I agree that club owners aren't the light
                of honesty, and there was probably a nod ad a wink from both sides here, avoiding
                the permit fee and oversight of a fire marshall. Jack's in a bad way with no pyro mentioned in his contract, though.
                That contract covers everything from exact placement of all gear, to Subway sandwiches for lunch, but not a word on pyro. I think someone in the GW camp will hang (so to speak) for this one.

This hits home to us bcause it could BE
                us. I noted your point of not being a GW
                fan, but how many times in your life has
                a friend had an extra ticket to a band
                you're not crazy about, but you tag along because a concert is a cool party? I've done that a lot, it could be your unlucky day and you die due to carelessness.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Ya know guys I thinks its a little harder for those of us that are older because we grew up listening to all those bands, they influenced us, I mean look at our guitars??? 80's guitars! This is what makes it more difficult to cope with. Living here in the L.A. Area it happened quite often when you would go to any of the many G.C.'s here to see your favorite guitarist jammin or signing a guitar or whatever. I'm babling now, its late. Prayer for all the families involved.

[ February 23, 2003, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: 1979Charvel ]

Comment

Thanks Bill.

Yeah, I've found that 7 out of 10 club owners and managers are sleazy mofos that
                    will shaft you on some part of your agreement - they know just how far to go so it's not quite worth pulling out of a gig, or they get you on the back end when it's time to pay, shorting you on the door when your own guy was there taking a
                    count too. Or you come in from out of town and they don't have a room as agreed, or it's a roach motel, or, or, or.... you name it. Crappy lights, crappy PA, crappy power, gear walks away.... Ain't this sch!te fun?!?!?
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The pyro isn't in the band's contract because that probably would have prevented them from booking these smaller clubs.

Check out these comments made by owners from other recent GW tour stops:

FoxNews - Great White

It sounds like they would show up to the gig with the pyro THEN ask if they could use it, and a few clubs confirmed that they did NOT use it when they were asked not to. One owner did say she had to tell them NO on two separate occaisions, so it sounds like some persistence was involved.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were indeed given verbal permission, but that's just their word against the club's. In the end, sadly, whether permission was given or not, the person setting the stuff up should have been knowledgeable enough to realise the danger.

I can't even imagine the horror for those involved, and my heart goes out to them and their loved ones. One thing I've learned - make a mental note of all the exits in such places soon after you arrive. They said there were several other emergency exits that NO ONE used because they couldn't see the signs for all the smoke. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

There are persons who go (used to go) to "The Station" who say that they, (the club owners, a.k.a The Station) have often had pyrotechnics effects in the past.

The owners were in the club while the effects were being setup and saw them being setup.

The bands lawyer is good. Big-time case! Big Time money...

Event made me ill... What happened will be revealed big-time!

(edited for spelling)

[ February 23, 2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: ROCKPRO ]

Comment

Now looks like Great White is going back on tour with a replacement guitarist.
                          I don't understand why after all the things happened, they stil have to go back on the tour so soon? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Here is what I found.

"GREAT WHITE To Continue Touring With Replacement Guitarist - Feb. 23, 2003

According to the New York Daily News, GREAT WHITE singer Jack Russell is wasting no time in scouting for a replacement for guitarist Ty Longley, who died after a pyrotechnics display got out of control in Rhode Island on Thursday. "I personally would like to express my heartfelt condolences to those families of the loved ones who perished, as well as Ty ... in the tragedy at the Station," Russell said in a web message. "We will continue our tour with a replacement guitarist sometime in the next few days." Russell and an unspecified bandmate were seen catching a flight yesterday out of town, Providence TV stations reported last night"

Comment

He is smart to keep moving. If he lets the band stay in one place they will miss the beat and stagnate... Great White will fade to black.

Back in the saddle, surfing their Great White wave and keep on moving father and farther away from the terrible fire of death, destruction and smoldering embers. Perfect time to fly like an eagle.

Let the lawyers fight it out.

[ February 23, 2003, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: ROCKPRO ]

Comment

I dont think they have much choice in the matter. Playing dumps like these, I imagine they have no cash in their pockets. These guys aint Ted Nugent, they actually have to play to eat.........

Comment

Probably Mark Kendall flying out with Jack. Maybe they're going to get Michael
                                Lardie.

I think they probably have to keep touring to survive, and it sounds petty but their gear burned up in that club, so
                                they have to earn money to replace that too. Finally, they're obliged by contracts to play the scheduled dates, and we know some of those owners would be
                                sleazy enough to sue for breach of contract if they didn't show, horrible as
                                that sounds.

Some grieve by jumping into their work too. It'll be haunting for awhile when they go onstage though, I'm certain of that.
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X