Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV show of jackson building guitars, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV show of jackson building guitars, anyone?

[ QUOTE ]

actually we have a "local" network here called the "PCN" network and they have "factory tours" on all the local businesses. It's great, you get to see everything from the local luthier making a violin and guitar to the Martin guitar factory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seen that too..... It was pretty cool.

Comment

I know a friend in FW told me that they did a feature awhile back on Joe Driskill. Though I dunno if a one man operation constitutes a "factory" tour. Point is you see local stuff all the time but I bet a feature on the big guitar makers and how they differ in guitar building would be cool, I know they often have stories on PRS around here.

A comparitive documentary type thing would be cool though, John can probably answer this, wouldn't some of that stuff be like trade secrets? Or is alot of stuff pretty much across the board for all companies. I don't like Gibson guitars much at all but I'd be interested to see how they build vs how Jackson builds. Or even within the company I imagine Pablo and Mike have slightly different approaches.

Comment

The bike show is more about 'emotions' and 'relationships', just like what they try to do to monster garage. When a bunch of level headed mature people make guitars I'm sure theres a lot less heated discussion and doorslamming. TV fags that think they can create a moving documentry run this shit not people who like the products being made.

That said, a docco on GMW and there um, 'dramas'.... [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

I've got a better video camera than Tekky, plus I've already had some experience filming training videos for my employer [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
          And I know my way around a workshop (as in machinery that can kill you in the blink of an eye if you're not careful [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            And I know my way around a workshop (as in machinery that can kill you in the blink of an eye if you're not careful [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

That would make for great drama.
            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

They could do a whole storyline about how the blood-drip graphics are really made from these "accidents".

Everyone knows reality shows are scripted anyway...the storylines if not the dialogue.

Comment

Actually I'd show Mike Shannon rooting through the pile of work orders and seeing the Dweezil run and tossing the other orders in the floor going "coooooool" walking away nodding and grinning at the work order. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And I'd love to re-enact Tim Wilson's "enthusiastic response" to being in the presence of Frankenstein [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, I can do this. I know I'm a PITA on the board, but that's only because I am safe behind the anonymity of the internet - in person I'm less of a know-it-all and not as pushy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

A show like this one would be cool for guitars. BUt remember .....the bike shows have the "deadline" that helps drive the show. It would be kind of hard to pull that same kind of interest when a deadline for a guitar can be to two years. THAT would be like watching paint dry.....LITERALLY!!!
                  I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    And since I only go the factory every couple of weeks, there's no "mustache" guy to get in everybody's business!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    My buddy Scott just moved over from Fender to Jackson. He'd be the Newb, but maybe if he grew a 'stach he could start throwing some weight around!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      A show like this one would be cool for guitars. BUt remember .....the bike shows have the "deadline" that helps drive the show. It would be kind of hard to pull that same kind of interest when a deadline for a guitar can be to two years. THAT would be like watching paint dry.....LITERALLY!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you may notice how no one holds up a newspaper in those shows so you can't see how many months went by. Usually they have to film at least 10 days of activity to make 30 minutes or an hour of useable footage (that which actually makes it into the show).

For something like Jackson, depending on how they wanted the show to play out (i.e. building one Rhoads, building a batch, building one Custom like a NAMM model, etc), you'd start with a shot of the work order (Custom) or production schedule (batch or one USA Select), then show the woodstocks, move to the body and neck and headstock blanks (maybe showing some actual cutting or template usage, depending on how much they wanted to show), a quick shot of the hardware and pickup bins (seen one bucket o' trems, seen 'em all), then each assembly stage - how the scarf-jointed head is attached to the neck, the fretboard being inlaid and put on the neck, the body wings being attached, the clamping/setting process, etc (again, depending on how much Jackson wants to show - some of the stuff is considered Top Secret I'm sure).

To film just that little bit for one guitar could take months, and the most you'd get out of it that was actually televisable is 10 minutes, and that's stretching it. Most TV/Movie scenes only last 3 seconds. This is to keep the audience interested.
                      Even on the Made In America tv show, the scenes are very short and the action goes by very fast, even if they have to speed it up in post-production.

It's a proven fact that even the most die-hard fanboy would fall asleep if the entire Star Trek Transporter System was described in minute detail.
                      So, tv shows are made up of dozens of 3-second clips, and a lot of them are duplicated or inverted to give the illusion of multiple takes, even though there are multiple takes for the same 3-second process (like stitching a zipper into a pair of jeans).

Then when you move into painting a guitar, you HAVE to use high-speed time-lapse "Keystone Cops On Speed" for playback or your viewer ratings will drop faster than Jenna's thong [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Of course, that's if you were filming a standard TV show that lasts for maybe 26 minutes (with 4 minutes of commercials) or 54 minutes (with 6 minutes of commercials). Actual screen-time may be even less, depending on the number of sponsors that have to be brought in to fund the broadcast. For a 3-part show like Made In America, each segment lasts about 17 minutes or less with 3 minutes of commercials at least. Some episodes only have 2 segments, depending on the popularity of the given subject, however, the Gibson episode was in a 3-piece run, so you can imagine if they did one on Jackson based on popularity it'd be 5 minutes long [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BUT, Jackson does have the option of going for the full-on documentary and selling it on DVD - covering the early days of Lynn and Wayne all the way up to right now.

However, that's expensive (unless you find a drooling fanboy with a camera [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) and can take 6 months or more (because even drooling fanboys have to eat, and bathe [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]).
                      That's just for filming. It can take that long or more for editing and production.

In either case, it's not a matter of just running through with a camera going "over here we have..." and "here's a shot of Tim talking to Pablo about....".

When I was doing the training videos for my job (actually they're more like "supplemental" training videos that go into slightly finer detail regarding our specific equipment, since the "primary" training videos which we're tested on have a broader focus covering general guidelines of our industry), I started by filming everything I knew how to do the way I normally do it.
                      When I played the first tape back, it was too much for a trainee to take in all at once, and there was a lot that needed more detail. The "whys" were covered adequately in the primary videos, but there were certain sequences of events that I was filming that had to be shown in greater detail, so I ended up having to move through each step slowly and deliberately to capture the detail.

It took about 6 months of filming, spread out over 14 to 18 days a month, sometimes only filming one hour a night because there were certain things that only happen every 6 months that NEEDED to be caught on tape because they are so infrequent and difficult to comprehend without seeing it first-hand, and they cannot be duplicated deliberately without damaging multi-million-dollar equipment.

I ended up with less than 40 minutes of useable footage, and that includes the 7 or 8 5-second section introductions, looped footage to pad out the narration, and a 2-minute spoof of a procedure they refer to as "the hand jive" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The primary training tapes are a 12-tape set that last 30 minutes each with few repeated scenes or loops, so you can imagine how much filming time it took, plus there's animations in them to illustrate finer/inner workings details.

So yeah, I know enough about it to do it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Hoshino has a warehouse in PA, not a factory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Hoshino is 10 minutes from me. They don't "Build" guitars, but there is actually some assembly done there for not too crazy customs. Basically a custom finished body and neck get sent there and the workers there assemble, wire and set them up. I've seen it. In person. My housemate has a USA Custom blue quilttop that was built for him from those very partsbins at Hoshino.
                        Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Working...
                        X