the word from megadeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the word from megadeth

who cares, I liked him in concert and like a lot of his music but I could care less about a signature model. Later and good luck.

Comment

And I'll say the same thing that I did on the Megadeth board: this is a poor decision on ESP's part. Here is a guitarist who can be seen playing Jacksons in videos, appeared in magazines and catalogs playing them, appeared playing them (and listed them in the credits) on his best albums and the tours supporting those albums...and they think that anyone is going to run out and buy an ESP because of him? They are banking on him coming back and rekindling his career, which is a gamble at best.

To me, and probably lots of other Megadeth fans, the King V was and is the "real" Dave Mustaine guitar. I associate the Y2KV with my least favorite Megadeth songs. Now, if I see him playing an ESP, I'll be thinking "endorsement *****".
      sigpic

Comment

Umm... who doesn't have an ESP sig model?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think a better question is 'who hasn't switched from Jackson to ESP?'

Sad but true...

Comment

So, in other words, Dave's "retirement" was complete bull**** too.

Hey, I like the guy's music--much more so than Metallica--but this is getting annoying.

Comment

So I wonder if Dave will actually play his LTD POS sig model, or will ESP build him 'special' instruments for his own use and leave the Korean plywood for the peasants? By the way, I have played the LTD KingV rip-off and thought it was a difficult-to-play, toneless piece of garbage. But now that Dave's sig will be on it, I'm sure it will be totally different... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Obviously, FMIC is going to have to get more aggressive with endorsement deals if they think that endorsements are important--maybe they have concluded that paying big $$$ for endorsements isn't worth it as long as the guitars have sufficient floor space at Guitar Center. After all, Fender hasn't done many new sig models lately--and have cancelled that recent single-hum Strat sig model, whose endorser's name escapes me at the moment--isn't that correct? And Fender really started the sig model craze back in the late '80s with the Clapton and Beck Strats, remember that? Perhaps they have decided to go with a different business model--and concluded that sig models aren't worth the bother.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
              So I wonder if Dave will actually play his LTD POS sig model, or will ESP build him 'special' instruments for his own use and leave the Korean plywood for the peasants? By the way, I have played the LTD KingV rip-off and thought it was a difficult-to-play, toneless piece of garbage. But now that Dave's sig will be on it, I'm sure it will be totally different... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm sure that's it. It's hard for me to imagine him on a pedastal acting like a "Rock God" with a mere commoner's guitar. Either that, or ESP pulled off the LTD V's to remove a basis of comparison as there'll be a new ESP-logo'ed V coming with more name prestige (and price) attached to it.

Comment

Hmmmm... Speaking of ESP endorsements, I know Queensryche has played custom ESP guitars (tri-ryche fretboard inlays and graphics, etc.) and I'm sure has an endorsement deal, but the darn things are bolt-ons! Don't you think a group of that caliber (and I'm talking their "Empire" days here, not "Q2K") could have told ESP to kiss their a** unless they provided them with some neck-through models?

I have to admit that I don't understand the ins and outs of endorsement deals, but for pete's sake, If I had a choice of touring with a free ESP bolt-on, or using my own $$ to buy a neck-through Jackson or set-neck Gibson, I'd be on my way to the bank to make a withdrawl.

- E.

[ February 22, 2003, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: AlexL ]
                Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

EMULATE METALLICA?! haha! if i even thought mustaine read these forums i'd have to say he'd get pretty irked seein that.

jeez man... metallica? for the longest time he hated them like crazy, i'm not even sure if they have good blood between them now. dave doesn't need to emulate anybody. megadeth is distinctly different.

Comment

i wuold much rather get a proper vee from jackson than a pointy one (comparing a mustaine 59 gibson style to esp and some jackson pointy ones)

i am currently trying to get cash for a rr5 rhoads (after getting a neck thru bc rich i definatley want a neck thru jackson not a bolt on) so the vee will have to wait

David

Comment

hmm...maybe qr preferred bolt-ons...it's not unheard of, the majority of my guitars are bolt-ons...d.m.
                      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by Sephiroth:

Jackson really needs to start fighting back and being more aggressive with ESP.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">they don't have to. jackson OWNZ. ESP is a good company but jackson will always be the king of the hill. play a stephen carpenter ESP vs ANY jackson sig model (or usa select for that matter).

jackson is ESP's daddy, plain and simple. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Exalon:
                          EMULATE METALLICA?! haha! if i even thought mustaine read these forums i'd have to say he'd get pretty irked seein that.

jeez man... metallica? for the longest time he hated them like crazy, i'm not even sure if they have good blood between them now. dave doesn't need to emulate anybody. megadeth is distinctly different.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sure they are, and I like their music alot better than Metallica's. But if you
                          knew much about Dave, you'd know he has always compared his success path to theirs, and has heavily plugged his status as a former Metallica member to give himself credibility throughout his career. Nothing wrong with that. He is
                          also much closer to Lars these days, though he and James would probably never be more than cordial to each other. Two
                          bulls in one corral don't mix!

Read the Megadeth tour diary at Metal Sludge and you'll read Dave saying real nice stuff about his old bandmates.

Cryptic Writings? A conscious attempt to
                          be more commercial? Where'd he get THAT idea?

He doesn't necessarily try to emulate their music, but their approach to being
                          big in the music biz. Since Metallica has always sold a lot more than Megadeth,
                          it's not surprising he'd emulate their career path. It was cool for him to say he was sticking to the old school when he
                          had platinum records, but when sales dropped he decided to be "open-minded" and try to boost his sales. It didn't work too well, but he tried.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Exalon:
                            jackson is ESP's daddy, plain and simple. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [/QB]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And Fender is now Jackson's daddy, because Jackson thought they were above the enorsement fray.

Fender being Jackson's daddy, you could say Jackson is Fender's b*tch too.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL:
                              Hmmmm... Speaking of ESP endorsements, I know Queensryche has played custom ESP guitars (tri-ryche fretboard inlays and graphics, etc.) and I'm sure has an endorsement deal, but the darn things are bolt-ons! Don't you think a group of that caliber (and I'm talking their "Empire" days here, not "Q2K") could have told ESP to kiss their a** unless they provided them with some neck-through models?
                              - E.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Queensryche have tended to use bolt-on guitars from the Kramer days onward. Like D.M. said, some people like 'em better. I like Bolt, set, AND thru-neck
                              guitars myself, as each has its own voice. Neck-thrus and setnecks have better sustain and a fuller tone, but bolt-necks have more clarity - the old
                              Strat-vs.-Les Paul debate, updated!

I did see Michael Wilton playing the neck-thru ESP Les Paul style model on a
                              recent concert video, so maybe now they're mixing it up?
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I own one bolt-on: a DKMGT. I really like it, so it's not like I am some neck-through elitist or anything. But, having said that, if I had an extra grand kicking around, I'd probably trade it up to an SLATQH.

- E.
                                Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
                                X