the word from megadeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the word from megadeth

That really sux. I've had so many bad experiences with ESP that I would never recommend or buy another one again. Ah well, what ya gonna do....

Comment

first off, emulating metallica's financial practices and musicianship are two totally different things.

i guess i'm just behind the times. i always thought one was supposed to judge a piece on its capabilities due to its craftsmanship and materials. i have never bought a guitar that it didn't take me at least a few months to decide on. in most cases i found it, fell in love, and bought it.

besides, who the hell cares anyhow if mustaine goes to some other company that overprices their gear to deliver less product? the people that like jackson will always have a fine selection of axes to choose from. fender knows that jackson caters to a large loyal following and i don't see that they wish to change that. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

and who the hell gave me the one star rating thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Exalon:
        first off, emulating metallica's financial practices and musicianship are two totally different things.

i guess i'm just behind the times. i always thought one was supposed to judge a piece on its capabilities due to its craftsmanship and materials. i have never bought a guitar that it didn't take me at least a few months to decide on. in most cases i found it, fell in love, and bought it.

besides, who the hell cares anyhow if mustaine goes to some other company that overprices their gear to deliver less product? the people that like jackson will always have a fine selection of axes to choose from. fender knows that jackson caters to a large loyal following and i don't see that they wish to change that. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

and who the hell gave me the one star rating thing?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">First off, you didn't ask what I meant he was emulating before you responded, so by your own definition, implied in your most recent response, you didn't know what you were responding to. Thus, you didn't know what you were talking about.

Second, when we're talking about Mustaine, he gets custom shop guitars, made to his specs. You order the guitar
        before they build it, so YOU CAN'T PLAY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT. Are you saying that everyone who orders a custom shop guitar didn't do the right thing? Custom
        shop guitars are much better than production models, though the USA Selects
        are much closer to THEIR Custom Shop kin
        than ESPs, obviously. Still, ESP can build Dave, or George Lynch, fine guitars
        that'll be on the same level, if not quite as fine, as the Jackson CS axes.

Third, we really don't know WHAT Fender plans for Jackson's future, though it looks better now than a few months ago.
        The Jackson customer base, while very loyal, is NOT large in terms that Fender
        thinks of as large, but is SO loyal that Fender may think (and be right to think)
        that they'll stick around even with a lowering of quality, because they'd still
        rather play a low-quality Jackson than ANY quality ESP. Mustaine left because
        Fender reduced his deal, while ESP likely
        increased it quite a bit to reel him in.
        Even if he did it only for the money, that's his business, not ours, and he'll do fine whatever we at the JCF think of his move. ESP will build him some damn nice guitars and give him a pocketful of dough, so he's happy. It's not like he's spying for the Chinese now or something. He changed guitars, BFD!
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Assuming that ESP comes out with an LTD Mustaine sig model, I will be disappointed in Dave for jumping on that bandwagon--putting his name on a POS guitar and deluding folks into thinking that's what he actually plays.

If his ESP sig guitar actually turns out to be an ESP, well then fine and dandy. At that point, I guess you have to conclude that FMIC doesn't think it needs endorsers to sell Jacksons. Right or wrong? I have no idea--I'm not in that business.

Comment

Hmm.
            I think I speak for majority of people here, in that we're hoping it isnt ESP, as we want to be able to get Dave's signature guitar and go "Look Ma! Im more like Dave Mustaine than I done was before! Woo! Look how cool I am!!!" (At least I will anyway [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).
            So with him going to a company such as ESP, we're gonna be buying an overpriced, allegedly lower quality guitar. So therefore even though we are more like Mr Mustaine, we have just bought what we have been conditioned to think of as a POS guitar. Now thats understandable that people feel a bit p*ssed off. Their hero is playing a guitar made by 'The Enemy'!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            Its a severe case of "us and them". And unfortunately, it seems like Daves going with "them".

James

Comment

Well JAMES, from that perspective you are
              named after DAVE's enemy, James Hetfield! Change your name to Dave!

ESP isn't the enemy - they're a competitor. The fact that they make more money selling lower-quality guitars would say that they "get" something about the market that Jackson doesn't - you have to
              go out and recruit endorsers to make it in business. Jackson ignores that basic rule of business, and keeps getting passed round from one "daddy" company to another.

Think of how many players have jumped from Jackson to ESP; did they all change from golden knights to Orcs overnight? I don't think so; I think that they grew more famous, thus more valuable, and Jackson didn't acknowledge that by upping the ante of their endorsement deals. ESP
              was smart enough to make them offers they can't refuse, and they were smart enough to take them. Jackson/FMIC just need to realize that and get a decent endorsement
              campaign going to get some new blood, and save some of the ones they still have.

Neanderthal man is gone because he couldn't adapt to the times. Jackson needs to adapt to survive, if Fender will let them adapt. Fender doesn't need endorsers like Jackson does, because Fender is THE ORIGINAL big maker of solid body elecric guitars. Jackson is a much more niche market, and needs those endorsers; but they gotta pay, period.

[ February 23, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

...there is still no official word that he's working with ESP, or even working on anything at all...
                please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Hehe.
                  Whilst my post wasnt exactly my point of view (Ive never really played an ESP but I kinda like the look of em [its good to vary your tastes]), your post was much more valid than mine [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

James, Um, I mean Dave.
                  [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I didn't know what a Jackson or Charvel was. I picked up a Charvel in a second hand shop and I had to have it because it played and sounded fantastic. I picked up a PRS, looked nice but played like a Gibson. We pays our money and we takes our choice [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey guys, haven't been on here in awhile. Forum has changed (or my old name/pass was deleted. Not sure which) but I see alot of the same gang. I was browsing around looking cause I'm in the market for a new acoustic in the near future, and I have been hoping for awhile that Jackson would come back with an acoustic guitar line. I was completely blown away to see that FMIC had bought Jackson. Not sure how I feel about it as I have never made any secret of the fact that I despise Fender as a company. As long as Jackson maintains quality and a decent price then I will still get my guitars from them though. Which brings me to the topic at hand, Dave.

Never much cared for the Y2KV, though it was a ugly little guitar. And I always thought Dave was a bit of asshole. But ya know I am betting this is as much FMIC's fault as it is his. They probably did something to piss him off and once you piss Dave off then I get the feeling your pretty much screwed. So if he goes to ESP, good for him. ESP sucks but Dave gets his money and he deserves it, I got lots of play out of Megadeath cds. But I will say I always felt they were in almost all cases inferior to Metallica (old Metallica, Ride the Lightning still the best metal album ever in my eyes). There were some brilliant exceptions but most of those were due to the fretboard antics of Marty and Dave combined, not Dave and especially not his singing (not that James Hetfield is any great singing champ himself). So maybe the guy has an ego to big for his own good. Whatever, but I am suprised how some people who I distinctly remember being on the Megadeath bandwagon are now riding his ass. We don't know all the details yet, and it may be that we never will. I wouldn't let some dubious dealings and press releases change my feelings of a band or a talent in the band. Thats my take on the issue. Good to see you all again though.

Comment

Welcome back Chris! I just gave you a 5
                        star rating! Now QUICKLY! Disable your
                        rating system in your profile so some pr!%# can't ding you with a low rating! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yah, the FMIC buyout has caused mucho turmoil here, and each time someone jumps
                        to ESP the villagers start crying "Witch"
                        about the artists! Alexi and Roope of Sinergy, and also Alexi's COB bandmates,
                        also went ESP after Alexi's 2 Rhoads 24
                        fretters were stolen and Fender/Jackson
                        shined him on. ESP stepped in to offer him a sig Rhoads knockoff and some $, while Jackson said a year and a half for
                        a new guitar. He had a tour to do, and though ESPs generally ain't great, I'm sure the COB and Sinergy customs will be
                        top-notch guitars.

Jackson's just had a bad endorsement policy for years, and it's killing 'em.

And James, I mean Dave, I mean James! You're a good sport, dude! I know I got
                        rather mean in that post, and you're cool
                        about your reply! You rock!

Rich
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

ChrisB is that you??? If so welcome back!! How have you been??

Comment

Lol Thanks Rich mate [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                            I dont take too many things seriously round here [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

James

Comment

hey boxcar, yep its me [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                              All this stuff with FMIC is pretty wild but seems like its still basically the same guitars. No matter what I would never go with ESP. They offer sweet endorsement deals though. Schecter seems to be doing pretty well for themselves though. I have played their new custom S-1 and its more than a match for the LTD Deluxe line in looks and surpasses them in sound for about 100 or 200 bucks less. I guess thats why ESP charges so much for their iffy quality instruments, cause they hand out endorsements like candy. It boggles my mind how Jackson got any endorsers with what they did. From how I saw it Jackson only gave good endorsement deals to a select few and the rest were just normal buyers. Did Alex from COB ever actually have any kind of deal?

Out of curiousity has anyone here ever actually PLAYED a ESP custom shop? I've never had occasion to but Marcus from Blind Guardian has told me multiple times that they kick the ass of his USA Jackson Rhodes. I always tell him he's nuts but I wonder. All these guitarists wouldn't play ESP customs if the things weren't pretty damn good.

Comment

I actually have and they are VERY good guitars. I would have to say that the only difference I can notice in ESP and Jackson is that ESP's necks tend to be fatter, while Jacksons are thinner. But the real ESPs and Jacksons are pretty equal quality-wise.

Comment

Working...
                                X