Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why is tuning a floyd such a bitch?

[ QUOTE ]
    I hope this doesn't sound stupid or anything...but i've been changing my strings on my floyd one by one so the bridge doesn't sink...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine, and I'll often do the same. But if the fretboard is getting a bit grungy, or the frets are oxidising, taking all the strings off makes it much easier to clean and oil your fretboard.

[ QUOTE ]
    so basically,I should stick something under the bridge to keep it level while restringing,then tune up?
    also,do you guys stretch your fresh set of strings? usually I gotta tune 5-6 times till my strings are in tune...is thier a certain way to tune up new strings...hope this doesn't sound stupid..i've always pondered this...

[/ QUOTE ]

I stretch them by grabbing each string around the 12th fret and gently pushing the string in two directions - stretching the string one way with my thumb, and a bit further down the string, pushing it the other way with my finger. Then I tune up and play a bit, bending a lot, just to settle the strings down. Retune, and it's pretty right to lock the nuts down then.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      There's a video I have on my computer that a former Jackson dealer did showing how to maintain and tune your floyd. I don't see it available to DL on his site anymore, but if you want I can try e-mailing it to ya

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.eastonguitars.com/WWW/TPS/VIDPGS/VIDPG1.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, there it is. Great reference videos right there. Thanks for posting it dude [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks!,Now I actually look forward to changing my strings...normally I would gringe cuz it would take like 30 mins or so...hah

Comment

maybe plus it would be easier too if I had my guitar resting on something flat other then my legs..... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

p.s.thanks for the video link!

Comment

Stretch those strings! I cannot over-stress that. After that your Floyded guitars will hold tune like nothing else.
            The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

i like your sig...haha.so true!

Comment

As others have said, it's really just a matter of experience. My first Floyd was on a Kramer back in 1986. The first time I changed strings, I totally panicked because the bridge sank all the way. Once I figured it out, I was perfectly comfortable with them and have been ever since.

Here's an idea, though; I've gotten in the habit of blocking my Floyds so they'll dive only and not pull up. Doing this will....

1. Give you better bridge stability. If you break a string, the others won't go out of tune. No one can possibly "wing it" in the middle of a song on a full-floating trem if they lose a string. A one-way block solves this problem. It also makes changing strings as easy as a fixed bridge (almost, as you still have to pinch the strings in the saddles).

2. End the problem of spring tension adjustment. You'll set the springs a bit stiffer and leave them that way, as opposed to having to readjust any time you change string gauges or try alternate tunings.

3. Add sustain. I personally think that the increase in sustain is negligible, but a lot of people swear by it. One added benefit I've seen is that it solves the "rattle" feeling of some bridges.

Also, keep in kind that this is usually reversible. The block of wood is actually glued against paint, not directly on the guitar body. I'm pretty confident that if I ever wanted to set one of mine back to full-floating, I can easily chip the block back off. I'm even more confident, though, that I'll never want to do this.
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I attribute the fact that I got such a great deal on my last Charvel due to the fact that the poor guy couldn't figure out how to use the Floyd ... so he let his axe go at bargain basement prices! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

-a

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Also, keep in kind that this is usually reversible. The block of wood is actually glued against paint, not directly on the guitar body. I'm pretty confident that if I ever wanted to set one of mine back to full-floating, I can easily chip the block back off. I'm even more confident, though, that I'll never want to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not glue it to the block? Chipping the wooden chock off the Floyd block would be even less likely to damage your guitar than risking taking some paint with it off the body.

Of course, that would be a PITA if you like to regularly change the colour of your hardware [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      why not glue it to the block? Chipping the wooden chock off the Floyd block would be even less likely to damage your guitar than risking taking some paint with it off the body.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about it, but decided to go the other way for three reasons:

1. I figured it would be more stable if attached stationary to the body, as opposed to moving with the sustain block whenever you hit the bar.

2. It's easier (probably) to glue wood to wood as opposed to gluing wood to metal.

3. The block is totally concealed with the back plate on, anyway.
                      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

i love the way he wrote that hahahahaha drug lord that is

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Who here can restring a Floyd and get it relatively tuned without even using a tuner until you need to fine tune? lol

*raises hand*

a lot of years of experience will get you to the point to where you can just start adjusting everything till you know the bridge is in the right position, and that all the strings are relatively in tune before plugging into a tuner to get to where you need to be. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

funny you should say that, because i can tune, then retune using the tuner in my boss gt-8, and there's always a huge difference. the jt580 on my wrmg goes out of tune easily, hence the need to find the alum key for the locking nuts. i din't get any. i also had to take the trem bar/arm that i kept from a crappy bc rich i returned ages ago.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Thanks for the video link!!! I think I could change strings and get in tune in about one beer now!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X