Noobies and prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noobies and prices

There seems to be a lot of questions from our new members about whether they should spend 2 or 3 hundred bucks on a J/C guitar. Every one I have seen is a no-brainer. Just "Buy It". When the prices are in the4,5,6,7,8+ range, then ask. Any J/C guitar at the low range is worth it in parts. If you spend the time to scope it out here, your "deal" could be gone. Hitch up your pants and "Buy it" [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Re: Noobies and prices

why should threy be asking whether they should spend the money...don't they have jackson / charvel guitars already?? generally those guitars cost a couple of hundred don't they?? so why are they worried about getting another one when they know what the quality will be like already?? Unless they're not J/C owners of course... [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Comment

That's not how I read it. My first Charvel cost me $200 +case. But I have been buying guitars for 25 years. I knew that was a good deal. My point is, that any J/C guitar with the old stickers or toothpaste is worth 2 or 3 hundred bucks easy. Even a Charvette, some times. So just "Buy It" [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

you pay approx 2.5 times as much in the uk, if not more. $522 for a brand new 2005 dk2 here. cases start from $87. i used the convertor on my mobile, and it came up with "RIPOFF".
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

They're about $469 here with the hardshell case for $59, so that's not much different. I'd say the shipping would account for the difference, Japan's a bit farther from you.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            That's not how I read it. My first Charvel cost me $200 +case. But I have been buying guitars for 25 years. I knew that was a good deal. My point is, that any J/C guitar with the old stickers or toothpaste is worth 2 or 3 hundred bucks easy. Even a Charvette, some times. So just "Buy It" [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

A solid wood body Charvette is roughly equal to a Model 1, 2, 3 or 4 in quality. A plywood-bodied one is more like the old Kramer Strikers - crappy pickups, crappy trem, cold sounding plywood body. Those are worth about $75 for the neck, the only good thing on them.

Newbies are most likely new to C/J guitars, so it's wise for them to ask. For example, I have some Yamaha RGX and RGZ guitars. They are just as nice as the Jacksons they competed with inthe market, but are only worth about 1/3 as much in the used market. Buying a bunch of those based on the quality of the guitars would put you in a hole financially.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

There is such a thing as the guitar blue book and you can subscribe to it on line. It's helpful because it also gives quality ratings of guitars and explains the type of condition as it relates to the $ value. I find you have to only use it as a guideline because it obviuosly does not fluctuate with the supply and demand. Charvels/Jacksons are in there. I just took a quick look around (I subscribed last year) and the Jacksons look more accurate than the Charvels Here is the link;

BlueBook

Comment

BlueBooks or Price Guides have prices that are "not of this world". They are good, as you say, as a reference. But, they are also self-serving. The value of a guitar is what a seller and buyer agree it is. E-Bay is the true equalizer. Those are real prices paid by real buyers.

Comment

sorry to bring up such an old story, but i think it's relevant: my first jackson was a £150 js-1. i also had a £659 bc rich nj slowloader (pun deliberate) ironbird. the jackson sounded better, had far better body construction and no neck dive or truss rod problems. since then, i have sworn by jackson, and the bcr was swapped for a wrmg. i've never had to return a jackson guitar with a warped neck, pickups falling inside their cavities, trems taking forever to set up etc. some blemishes but nothing serious or immediately noticeable. my dxmg was absolutely mint.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                  X