Fretboard Picture What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard Picture What do you think?

Here is a picture of one of my jacksons.
    Look at the fretboard where the circle is.
    Its an ebony board but around some of the
    fretwire the board is light in color.
    Anyone know what this could be?

Spaghetti
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

You hungry?

Comment

That is a horrible fucking picture. It hurts my eyes. At least post a pic that is in focus.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Cmon man... all you have to see is that the wood right by the fretwire is alot lighter than the ebony...too hard to get a pic that close in focus. Just trying to figure out if maybe the ebony boards are stained and they just did a crappy job or something like that

Comment

Maybe just dirt? A lot of ebony boards are streaked naturally and get stained, though.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Looks more like it wore out and underneath is lighter...alot lighter... and its around alot of the frets(fretwire)...weird

Comment

Get out the steel wool & vinegar!

Comment

Most major manufacturers supposedly dye ebony boards to make them look more black cuz the wood is naturally streaked.

I am also pretty sure that some of the more unscrupulous major manufactures (NOT Jackson!!) stain rosewood and pass it off as ebony (I have seen "ebony" boarded guitars for sale which clearly have the big open grain of rosewood, just stained darker). If the board is open and porous - its rosewood. If its tight - almost like a chalk board except real real close up, its ebony.
                  "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Yeah, what model is this, quaky?

Comment

RR05xx....by the looks of what I see (and zeegs cant j/k) it looks like what you are describing (ebony board with stain and some has faded)
                      Racer...its a usa neckthru with advertised ebony board

Comment

It looks to me like someone tried cleaning the fretboard right along the fretwire, probably with a razor blade, and went too deep. The tech I go to uses a razor to clean the board, but advised against me doing it myself unless I have a beater guitar to practice on first.
                        sigpic

Comment

Time for a Sharpie marker? A fine point one should fix it. Or get the ebony die at stew-mac and be real careful.

Comment

It's probably just lighter colored ebany that has been stained darker, and someone has scraped it down to the natural color.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

clean it up and oil it, that may even it out a bit.
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X