No announcement yet.

Fretboard Picture What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ummm that second picture just looks like you have a piece of ebony that has streaks in it. Ebony with streaks is not uncommon.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Yeah Welcome Postal!!! you are in for a long ride of great people...great Knowledge and great sarcasm! Xeno maybe that dragon just breathed on it and turned it lighter adds character right?

Comment

lol.... I guess. I prefer nice dark ebony without any kind of color inclusions like that. Although if it were consistently striped, Macassar Ebony? I wouldn't mind that either...
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Its hard to see but really what it is...is just ebony that was stained and has worn...like I said hard to see but that 2nd pic is the only mark of its kind other than around some of the fretwire....

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

But worn dye just doesnt seem "right". Most ebony with streaking, the grain is very fine, and relatively even spaced (unless you see the sapwood streaks) but in the blurry pic of the fret, it goes all the way accross (or almost). Couldnt just be brown/grey grain line. Almost looks like rust. I have 3 ebony boards, and a small fretboard sized block I'm hoping to get 3 fretboards out of... none of it is dyed, and none look like that- Personally I like a tiny hint of fine grey streaking in my ebony (you can judge the quality of the inlay work easy) but I've never seen rust colored streaks. I have no idea *what* it is, which is why I did't make a comment on it in my first post, but it really looks like rust- Maybe a previous owner was one of those people that has bad body chemistry and just rusts out metals with their sweat really quickly? (you have heard of that right? I wasn't joking ;-)

Postal!
            (2nd post!)

Comment

Hey there!
              The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Postal, its not rust, its the wood, and that guy that sweats like that better not touch my Truck!!

Comment

Working...
                X