Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good passive neck humbucker for shred sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good passive neck humbucker for shred sound?

I'm looking for something like the Jason Becker, Michael Angelo type of tone. Something with easy tapping sound and nice clear sweep sound with looong sustain. Bridge pickup would be the Jackson J90c that I'm getting next week. I'm also thinking about getting a Je1000 if I find it somewhere. Would Jackson J80 or J50n be good?

Uros

I heard jason becker used dimarzios according to his site dunno which one tho

Comment

bump for this.

Comment

I totally love my 1992 RR1 100% original. It comes with a J80 in the neck, J90C in the bridge, and the JE1000 (I think - it's some sort of boost from Jackson - might be the JE1200 but it's not the JE1500).

What happened to the electronics manual sticky in the tech forum?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
          Don't know, but I have pics on my disk and I can upload them if anyone wants them.

And thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
            Something with easy tapping sound and nice clear sweep sound with looong sustain.
            If you get the chance, check the DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell. It gives me clean and trebly, yet saturated lead tones from the neck position (in my alder Soloist).
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Dimarzio Evolution
              Dimarzio Air Norton

Comment

Also, DiMarzio PAF Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
                  I'm looking for something like the Jason Becker, Michael Angelo type of tone. Something with easy tapping sound and nice clear sweep sound with looong sustain. Bridge pickup would be the Jackson J90c that I'm getting next week. I'm also thinking about getting a Je1000 if I find it somewhere. Would Jackson J80 or J50n be good?

Uros
                  One thing I will say is that I love the J80 in the neck, but I don't know the players you mention or what "easy tapping / clear sweep" means. Long sustain? oh yes, it's got that.

The tone I think it hits is good old Metallica leads, like Fade to Black, Sanitarium, etc.

Comment

One thing I will say is that I love the J80 in the neck, but I don't know the players you mention or what "easy tapping / clear sweep" means. Long sustain? oh yes, it's got that.

The tone I think it hits is good old Metallica leads, like Fade to Black, Sanitarium, etc.
                    well, by "easy tapping / clear sweep" I mean easy to get sounds with tapping (and legato playing) and no muddiness.

Comment

Still not sure if it qualifies for "no muddiness", but the nice thing is that these pickups are dirt cheap (at least in the US - like $15) so if it doesn't turn out good, you aren't out too much.

The thing with a PAF style pickup like a J50 is that they often have a mid scoop EQ.

There are quite a few on the board that like JB's for neck pickups (WTF?), and with the J80 having similar specs as a JB, I can see why they like it.

Comment

I know they're going for cheap I I'd like to try one too for that kind of money, but you don't see them everyday in Europe. Maybe there are some in the Classifieds section, but I'm not allowed there yet.

Comment

Dimarzios... X2N, Super Distortion or Super 3 in the bridge, with a Super 2 in the neck. The Super 2 rules as a neck pup!!
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

one last bump for this.

It doesn't need to have a nice clean sound. More opinions on J80 would be great too.

Comment

what happened to all the sticky'ds in the tech forum ?
                              “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Working...
                              X