Need Charvel help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Charvel help

I just got a great deal on a Charvel that has been in a storage locker for 11 years. I'm new to Charvel's and have a few questions.

It is a 22 fret, single humbucker (bridge, of course) Charvel. Headstock says Charvel by Jackson/Charvel. The neckplate says Jackson Charvel, Fort Worth Texas, USA. Serial # 230987. It has Jackson tuners, a locking nut, 1 vol knob, and a Kahler made in USA Floyd type bridge. There are fine tuners on 4 of the 6 saddles. The strings and frets are corroded a greenish brown, and there is some rust on the bridge.

I tried looking up Charvel s/n's but their site does not have the six digit series. One or two sites implied that these were Jap imports despite the USA on the neck plate. Also, any info regarding Kahler trems would be appreciated. This is my first Floyd type bridge. I assume the two missing fine tuners ought to be there, but were lost by the previous owner.

Came with a tweed Charvel case.

For $35.00 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Deal of a lifetime from a friend. Her brother had a storage locker he'd been paying $85.00 a month for and was tired of the payments. He was too lazy to clean it out, so he told my friend that she could have/sell whatever was in it if she got it cleaned out by the end of Feb. Fool must have forgot what all was in it.

Re: Need Charvel help

im pretty sure the 1hum 1knob charvels are model 1's. damn $35?!?!?! ill give you 50, heheh [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] nice score

[img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]

Comment

I was looking at some pictures, and it looks like a model 2. What are the differences?

Comment

Does anyone have info on where to buy parts for Kahlers? They do not seem to have a website.

Comment

www.kahlerinternational.com

Originally posted by the red and the black:
          Does anyone have info on where to buy parts for Kahlers? They do not seem to have a website.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Ummmm, Thanks, but I don't golf.

Originally posted by buzzsaww:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by the red and the black:
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

What type of kahler is it? It sounds as if it would be the vintage style that "pivots" on two posts?
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

That is the greatest deal I have ever seen on one of the guitars. Amazing.

It sounds like a Model 2. It's Japanese.

Comment

I was looking at some pictures, and it looks like a model 2. What are the differences?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the difference between a Model 1 & a Model 2 is the trem. The Model 1 has a trad- or vintage-style trem, the 2 has either a Kahler or licensed Floyd
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like it is a model 2. Kahler pro (?) bridge pivots on two posts, so that all adds up. I removed the bridge last night and found that the 'missing' fine tuners are actualy broken off. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Oh, well for this price I can afford to search for parts. Since two of the four remaining are chrome instead of black, I'll need a full set. Anyone have a link to a site with parts for these bridges? If I remove the fine tuners I should be able to play it while I look for parts, but I'm leary of using the locking nut without the fine tuners. Also, are these as hard to intonate as they look? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Word:
                      That is the greatest deal I have ever seen on one of the guitars. Amazing.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You would not believe the stuff they found in that locker. All kinds of tools, designer clothes and antiques. Not to mention a complete Leslie model 910 3-way stack with rebuilt motors and drive system. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] The only thing questionable is the speaker cones.

Comment

Ummmm, Thanks, but I don't golf.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by buzzsaww:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by the red and the black:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's the right site. They also do make golf clubs. I believe they stopped making most of their trems awhile back and were concentrating more on golf clubs. They still make a few trem models and have some parts available. Just email them or call to see if they can help you.

I don't know why the main page comes up as just golf clubs now. It used to be a black page with info and pictures about trems and parts. I was just on their site last week checking out a locking nut. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ February 27, 2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well I just sent an email asking what's up, and whether there is a new site. If they reply with anything helpful I'll post it here. Figgures, just when I need 'em, they shut down. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

My email was returned with a fatal error. I then tried the phone number on the website and got another error, telling me to check the number and dial again. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH.

Comment

Red & Black, I've just gone through my own Kahler parts adventure. About 5 weeks ago, I picked up a Model 4 that was missing the Kahler stringlock and 1 roller brige saddle and figured that it was no big deal. Kahler's website was showing trems yet and I emailed them about my needs. I got an email back from a Scott Miller asaying that they had the parts and to just email him my CC #. The odd thing was that his email address wasn't "@kahlerinternational.com" but "@forgedclassics.com." I replied to his email that I didn't send out my CC # unencrypted and gave my cell # and asked him to call me. Since I just did a reply ot his return email address, I was puzzled when this email bounced. I figured I was being scammed but I resent the reply to the Kahler eamil address, then heard nothing for 3 weeks. 3 days ago, my cell rang and it was Scott Miller of Kahler. I asked a few questions and this is, briefly, what he told me. Kahler is in process of relocating their manufacturing facility, the lawsuits re the Floyd Rose patents have been settled, and the website will be revamped to reflect that they will begin trem manufacture again soon (they have an existing but limited stock on hand) and that they will offer newly manufactured parts kits for older trems. They will have exploded diagrams and parts numbers and lists for all older trems so that we can identify and order a specific number to eliminate confusion. Unfortunately, the business is in a state of confusion with their move and nothing will happen for at least 30 days. I ordered the stringlock I need as it's available, but it won't ship for at least TWO WEEKS! Oh well, at least I'll get it. As for Kahler parts, I can only advise you to watch Ebay; I just bought a used and incomplete flat mount pro just for the 1 string saddle I need. There was no other way. Kahler is in a state of confusion right now and I wish them luck, if only to get us the older parts we need without paying big $$$s on the used market. If you wish to try and contact them, the Kahler phone listing is (714) 239-1550. If this doesn't work, try the golf club side of the house, Forged Classics is (714) 239-1551. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X