Short Scale ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Scale ?

I've heard a few of you chime in about liking the 24.75" necks saying they were alittle easier or quicker to get around , but I was wondering if there are any other advantages/ disaadvantages ? Like are they usually only 22 frets or can they be 24? Also where is it measured from?

Or is this mainly just a "feel" preference?

Cant say I've played one to know the difference.

Thnx in advance for your input.

they can be 22 or 24 frets. All the Jackson & Charvel Fusions were 24 fretters.

the scale is measured from the bridge to the nut. A more accurate measure is from the nut to the 12th fret and then double it, since each bridge saddle's position can vary as it is moved for intonation.

If you've played any kind of Les Paul, you've played the short scale.

It's mainly a feel thing. The string tension is lower on the shorter scale (which is why a lot of folks here go up a string gauge for their short scale guitars) and the frets are closer together.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

The short scale may be at a sonic disadvantage if you tune down a lot. A longer scale generally has a clearer sound, which is why the 27" baritone exists.

Comment

It is more of a feel thing than anything else. less string tension makes for easier bending, a slightly softer feel, but not really recommended if you are using dropped tunings, D is still Okay but anything lower and strings are way too slack. I have 7 or 8 24.75 scale guitars and all but 2 are 24 fret, I generally tune em to standard w/ EB 9-42s
        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Well the frets end up slightly closer together which might be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the person

Comment

I like slinky/soft feeling strings, so I ten to lean towards the 24.75 scale guitars and use 9-42 and 9-46 strings. when I play on 25.5 scale guitars, it is a must I use 9-42 or even 8-38/42 strings or they feel big and stiff. I used 9-46 once on a 25.5 scale guitar and hated it. I only tune 440 or Drop D. Jack.

Comment

With the given string gauge and tuning short scale will have less string tension.

It gives looser vibe. I personally never play on anything less than 10-46 even on 25.5 in E, because I pick pretty hard. Playing on shorter scale I feel that 10-46 are still bold enough for picking, but noticeably easier for fretting.

Short scale obviously means less stretch, and gives nice fingering opportunities. But higher frets may seem more cluttered.

In general I prefer 25.5 scale, for a tighter feel and more space in higher positions, but 24.75 is a nice option to have within a reach
              Because I don't say it
              Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Short Scale

My Charvel Fusion has a 24.75 scale and I do like it, especially up to say, the 15th fret. It does get a little close up on the highest frets. I would not recommend it if you are a big guy with big hands. But if you have average or small hands, it's fine after getting used to it. The necks are the best, though! Kind of like an Ibanez Wizard, only THINNER! Woo-Hoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Carbophos
                  I personally never play on anything less than 10-46 even on 25.5 in E, because I pick pretty hard. Playing on shorter scale I feel that 10-46 are still bold enough for picking, but noticeably easier for fretting.
                  Haha, you just described my opinion in the matter exactly!

Comment

I drop D my fusion most of the time with 9-42s and it plays great, no problems at all.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I got a fusion after owning a DKMG and I didnt really notice much difference. If you get used to one scale then that seems standard
                      If you wake up in the morning, it's because Jack Bauer spared your life.

Comment

I have a Charvel 750xl with the short scale, and it's the best guitar I own. You do have to be more precise when you play in the upper register, since the frets are closer together. But when has the need for precision ever been a bad thing?

It's been my experience that the 24.75" scale gives you a thicker 'chunk' in the rhythm guitar department, though it can get messy more easily if you use a lot of gain. For heavy pickers, 25.5" is definitely the way to go, unless you want to use massively thick strings.

Comment

I did a Star guitar project awhile back and had accidently purchased a 24.75" scale neck for a 25.5" scale body. I wanted to use the neck, so I modified the body to accomodate the 24.75" neck and I'm glad I did.
                          The 24.75" scale provides for better balance and comfort.
                          Very important IMO, since this could be considered an "odd" shaped guitar.

Comment

One thing I would like to add is, I do prefer 22 frets on a 24.75 scale guitar, because of the closeness up high on the board. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                            X