How much for a setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Model1VH2
    Perry, you claim to set up 30 guitars per 6 hour session using "templates" for intonation, then say that part timers " don't put the effort in?

I do this part time, and though I may not pump out 30 guitars a day, I do take pride in my work and provide quality service.
    Any guitar that comes into my shop for a setup recieves individual attention, not a cookie cutter "template" setup.

"Effort" in this case should be defined by quality and not the amount of guitars you can pump out the door.
    thanks for selectively quoting my post. You also totally misread what i said Here is some of it again so the rest dont miss it either:

One is a true setup, one is simply CALLED a setup (and is actually a rort, should be called a 'string change'). Despite my protests, the stores will not change their policies (and ive since dropped the worst ones)

and in case you missed my point.... i have zero problem admitting that the STORE "SETUPS" (once again, i'll state: and is actually a rort, should be called a 'string change') are not the quality they should be (if they are called a setup) and you could do better for your cash.
    --
    Regards,
    Perry

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi
      I'm having to take my DX10DFS in for a setup because the sound cuts out at certain frets, there's what looks like a drool mark (?!) on one section of the fingerboard, frets buzz here and there, trem's lob-sided. BUT, I've been quoted 2 prices: £40 all inclusive by the shop where I bought the guitar, and £25+strings by a small family owned shop. All the techies look like young students.. What would you pay for a setup and is there a general rule of thumb for picking which retailer to do the job? Turnaround time is 2 days from either retailer.
      As you can see from some of the posts here, a setup is not always the same thing from shop to shop. Best get more info as to what each shop means by "setup", and specifically ask the lower-priced scop if the price is good for setting up Floyds. They're a little more work, though nothing major, though they do intimidate some folks.

You can search our Tech Q&A section and learn everything you need to know about setups. For the price of one setup at the store, you can buy the tools to do it yourself for life. If you're not comfortable with that now,
      then have a shop do it, but figure on learning later.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Techs charge £10 here. I charge 5 plus strings myself. Or wait... I don't remember. I think it's 10, could be 20. It's €30 in Amsterdam.
        I change the string, set the action as the customer wants it (and relief if he knows), clean up the fingerboard, whole guitar, setup the bridge (radius, intonation, spring tension...) and diagnose any other problems it may have. I also correct the electronics if there's a mistake or something is off.
        Last edited by pott; 05-14-2006, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Why techs shaft themselves doing 10-15$ setups I´ll never know, because the hourly rate at that point becomes McDonalds level....

I take 50€ flat fee, regardless of axe, this includes a new nut if necessary.

Comment

Most guitar shops Ive been to have charged between £20 and £30, some included strings and some didnt. Thats the price mainly to sort intonation and bridge height and action, and change strings. Its fairly easy to do yourself, but sometimes its nice to have the peace of mind knowing a trained technician guy has done it.

James

Comment

Working...
            X