Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about full on mahogany on an archtop... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about full on mahogany on an archtop... ?

I was wondering if there was a LesPaul with mahogany set-neck, mahogany body and mahogany archtop... How would that sound?
    I'm considering going full-on mahogany on my next CS order, but I was thinking maybe a mahogany 3/4'' top would be too much and would darken the sound too much...

What do you guys think?

The old Les Paul Custom black beauties were all mahogany I believe. There are quite a few archtops currently being made with all mahogany construction. Companies like Hamer, PRS and Carvin are doing it, among others. I like the sound of all mahogany, personally.

Comment

I'm also a big fan of all mahogany. MF makes the faded/worn cherry "Vintage Mahogany" model, and GC has the same model in faded brown. Here's my MF model. I don't think it's too dark. I've got EMGs in it... 85 in the bridge with a 25th anniversay chrome 81 in the neck. Sounds awesome!!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

With todays amps, effects, and other hi-tech gear, you don't lose the high end treble response like you did 20+ years ago. You can get away with all mahogany guitars now and still have a great tone - al the low end warmth, but also some high end that is not too brittle.

Sometimes a maple top on a mahogany guitar through today's gear makes for too much high end.....not good!

But, it all depends on your gear and your fingers.....the only way to find out is to try it!

Comment

The Y2KV, though not an archtop, was all mahogany too. The one I played had one of the fullest tones ever. Wish I had snagged it when I had the chance.

Comment

Yes like Toejam's who owns one, I played one, it's like a SG std. on steroids.

Last edited by SGplayer; 05-11-2006, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Right on, thanks \m/
              I think I'm gonna go that way...

Thanks guys!

Comment

the Jackson Christian Olde Wolbers sig model is all mahogany construction and an archtop
                My music:
                www.leonlive.co.uk

Comment

My all mahogany CS Soloist. I love mahogany above all others

Jack

Comment

I've had and now prefer all mahagony guitars. Very full and thick tones and a great high end with the amps I've used em with. I find em very well balanced, especially with the cleans. They come out very warm and round and the bridge pickup when used with distortion gives it a full and warm tone

Comment

2 more of my all mahogany gits!! Jack.

Comment

All mahogany too...

Guess what my next Custom is going to be made out of?
                        Last edited by Sanctuary; 05-11-2006, 09:23 PM.
                        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I love mahogany myself. I was gonna mention the Les Paul studio worn brown or worn cherry or even the gothic Gibson version is all mahogany. They are very full and heavy sounding but somecan sound a little too dark and lose clearity but with the right pups and not too much gain they sound great.
                          Gil

Comment

+300.

nice, full, warm, feels nice and solid, looks beautiful (to me anyways).

i agree with having some sound dark or a tad muddy, but the right pups and laying a tad off the low end and gain, beautiful tones come out, clean or dirty.

Comment

Love all Mahogany. You will need brighter pickups to sound right since the wood gives very warm muddy sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X