Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find Daves thread on DIY neck binding

Can't find it using the search.

I remember him doing bindings on an import neck, with pics and all and would like to re-read it. But the current search function and I, are not getting along very well!!!
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Just track down some white automotive striping tape, 1/8" wide and have at it.

I wish the search function could be fixed fully!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
      I wish the search function could be fixed fully!
      You said "fully"... you meant "sully" right? :ROTF:
      Henrik

Comment

..and no way i'm gonna put tape on as binding.
        Henrik

Comment

Here Hen

Try it you'll like it

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7196

Comment

I remember that thread. Looks okay with the tape but i want the real deal. NOTP has cleared out his photobucket i'm afraid, so no pics in the thread.
            Henrik

Comment

How bout this one?

Comment

Well there you go, thanks Dave!! (the other Dave )

Which search criterias did you use?
                Henrik

Comment

Yup, that's it. PM Budman Hen.... NIght all

Comment

No problem. I find the user click on his public profile and then there is an option to click "find all threads started by..." and then weed through the mess!!!

Comment

...weed through the mess.. that's what i hate doing, especially on a megaposter like Budman.

I wonder what's up with the search function anyway? JCF is a goldmine but it needs a good search engine.
                      Henrik

Comment

I figured out that the engine does not like spaces. So like if you did a search on "Jackson guitars" It only picks up "Jackson" Maybe we should hijack the google code!

Comment

I read the old thread and want to point out a few things if you try binding yourself....

The original thread is for binding *over* fret ends. If you want to do it that way, cutting fret ends while cutting the binding channel is the best approach. .. but you can also cut the channel, install frets, cut fret ends and file them flush with the channel very easily....and then install binding.

However.... this is what I want to point out- If you want frets *over* binding like most Jacksons, the thread mentions undercutting installed fret tangs and trying to place binding under the frets.... There is no way in hell I would do that. Pull the frets out, cut the channel, install binding, trim binding flush to the board, and then cut fret tangs to match the correct size and install frets.
                          Trust me- I know how to do neck binding.

Also- Jackson-Charvel (if you see this)... the binding is not level to the body because that neck is angled. It is supposed to be that way. Fenders have a zero neck angle because strat and tele bridges are so low they don't require an angle. Most other types of bridges except *recessed* floyds- must have a neck angle. Many players prefer angled necks- Look at the popularity of the SG and LP.... both have a neck angle because of the tunomatic bridge.

Comment

Postal, thanks for the added info - i hadn't seen your reply before now.
                            Henrik

Comment

No Problemo-

Any specific questions on how to do binding, maybe I can help.

Postal!

Comment

Working...
                              X