What makes it a Soloist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes it a Soloist?

Charvel Model 6's are often compared to Jackson Soloists. I have a 650XL which is a fine guitar and near Soloist specs. I loved ripping on it until I got my Custom Shop Dweezil Charvel. Now I find myself more comfortable with soloing on the smooth and faster bolt-on maple neck of the Dweezil. So does the Soloist get it's name from the extra features: neck through, binding, fins, 3 pickups? My 650 is quite a looker and a sweet axe but I personally don't find the features making it a superior soloing guitar.

Neck-thru is the primary thing that makes it a Soloist.
    All the rest is "gravy".
    The Charvel Model 6 and the Jackson Soloist are essentialy the same guitar.
    Some specs may be different, but at their soul, they are based on the same design.
    Last edited by rjohnstone; 05-26-2006, 12:48 PM.
    -Rick

Comment

Don't bother with a Soloist. You're 650xl is every bit the guitar a USA Jackson Solist is, only with a rosewood fretboard. At least mine is. But rjohnstone is right, the Soloist has the Dinky strat body (7/8ths size) mated to a neck thru. That's what makes a Soloist a Soloist.

Comment

When I take the 650 out to clubs, it's very popular with all the metal heads. They always want me to plug it in, like it will make us heavier or me better.. or somethin like that. In reality, the Dweezil is more ballsy and I play better on it too.

Comment

It's all a preference thing.
          Some poeple love the Soloist and some love the Dinky.
          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone
            but at their soul, they are based on the same design.
            so would that make them both "soul-oists?" :ROTF:
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb
              so would that make them both "soul-oists?" :ROTF:
              I had that coming... smart ass!!! J/K
              Good one .
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina
                When I take the 650 out to clubs, it's very popular with all the metal heads. They always want me to plug it in, like it will make us heavier or me better.. or somethin like that. In reality, the Dweezil is more ballsy and I play better on it too.
                Hey, if you don't play well on the 650, maybe you should unload it....

Comment

I set it up with a D-Tuna for stuff that has little or no solos. Works well for that so I'll be keeping it for now. I promise, you guys will be first to know when I want to unload it.

Comment

Those sticky shiny necks on neck-thrus....yuck.
                    I've now been neck-thru-less for a few months and I'm never looking back!
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

It's a name.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Holes

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The first "officially named" Soloist was a single-hum model - only good for soloing (no "rhythm" pickup -Grover seemed to be hung up on the idea that neck pickups were only used for rhythm and bridge pickups were only used for solos).
                          Saw that in a magazine interview yeeeeeeeeeears ago.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                            Those sticky shiny necks on neck-thrus....yuck.
                            I've now been neck-thru-less for a few months and I'm never looking back!
                            Not all of em are shiny and sticky

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                              Holes

Is that Jimmy Buffett?

Comment

Working...
                              X