need advice! got ripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice! got ripped

I bought a Charvel model 5 from a guy on the net the other day and paid via paypal. I just got the guitar today, plugged it in and there was a horrible noise (despite having a gate on). I tried to play some notes and the noise was still just as loud as the notes. I switch the selector to the neck and there's silence (neck pickup doesn't work).

So I open up the cavity and am horrified. The picture makes it look cleaner then in normal day light, but in case you can't see there's orange electrical tape, black electrical tape, duct tape, scotch tape, and packaging tape in there... there's shit all over the place.. even wires that aren't connected to anything.

In order to get it in working condition I'd have to gut it and start from scratch. The guy hosed me. What do you guy's recommend that I do? Email him asking for some money back? If so, how much do I ask for? I paid around $400 w/original case. The guitar has it's share of nicks that go down to the wood and the case is stained and dirty as hell(understandable).

If he refuses to refund any money, could I file a complaint to paypal and get a refund from them?

Any advice would be well appriciated!!!

Do you have a link to the auction where the item description was? Or how did he describe the condition?

Comment

If it was me, I'd just gut it and put it back together in proper working order (provided that the components are okay).

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
        If it was me, I'd just gut it and put it back together in proper working order (provided that the components are okay).
        +1
        If the rest of the guitar is solid, just re-wire it.
        A lot less hassle than chasing down a refund.
        -Rick

Comment

"Great Condition Red Jackson neck thru guitar. Great conditon with original Kahler(the good one). Frets are good and as you can see the guitar is in good condition. Comes with original tweed Charvel case" - the listing

A little vague, but the last time I checked, "good condition" meant it worked.

Anyone have a diagram so I can try putting it back together?

Comment

Yep, what sunbane said 100%.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

That sucks James, yes you should ask for some renumeration from that douche that lied about the guitar's condition.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

If you are unhappy and dont want to make it work yourself I would email the guy and tell him what your thoughts are. Do you not want it at all or looking for a little money back? What in your mind would make the deal right? You could just get it re-wired or get it to work yourself. But Jackson1 and Sunbane, what if the electronics are no good?

Comment

You have your work cut out for you. I would suggest to try and get a partial refund and then fix it yourself or have it rewired by somebody else.

This must be the auction. Seller doesn't seem to be very honest. Feedback should have tipped you off, especially since you back doored. Consider this a lesson learned if you can't get a full or partial refund.
                  Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

qua, hmmm... i still wouldn't bother. I guess, for me a guitar is not the electronics. I would pull even working mid-boost, preamps, whatever from older guitars as they doesn't help the sound of the guitar in my opinion. But we don't know - maybe the majority of the electronics are working. If the pickups are not working, i would react and contact the seller.
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

The max cost to fix it is like $15 and 30 minutes of soldering, I'd just rewire it myself

Comment

I would yank everything out and start from scratch. Go completely passive with two volumes and a master tone. In fact, I would do that even if the stock electronics worked.

Comment

I would get some $ back ,maybe 50 bucks. Then you should be set.It happened to me once and the guy sent me 50 bucks and everybody made out.I wanted the axe but also wanted some money cause of the misleading auction.

Comment

My question would be how much did you pay for it? I see the auction was ended early so I'm assuming you backdoored it? If you got it for $250.00 or less just re-wire it and shut up. No real biggie to me.
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                              My question would be how much did you pay for it? I see the auction was ended early so I'm assuming you backdoored it? If you got it for $250.00 or less just re-wire it and shut up. No real biggie to me.
                              He said he paid around $400.00 for it. I agree to gut it and re-wire. Budman can give you a diagram, or probably 50 guys here can too. Don't panic my man, just make it work for ya. Oh yeah, let the seller know you're pissed, he might refund a bit if he has a conscience.

Comment

Working...
                              X