Fret Wire Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret Wire Question

Ok so clue me in please. My KE-2T has real fat squared off fret wire (My fav) My KV-2 has kind of skinny rounded fret wire, and my LTD soloist has fat rounded fret wire. If I go to Jacksons web page all they ever reference fret wise is "Jumbo Frets" I am doing a CS soon and want the fret wire like my Kelly but dont know how to reference them. Help please

A KV2 has what I think is medium/jumbo frets and on the KE2`s have Jumbo frets which are a little higher and wider than the medium/jumbo frets. Ask for the Dunlop 6100 frets for your CS!! Jack.

Comment

Thanks Jack what are the Dunlop 6100's like?

Comment

Check out this link for some info on fret size/measurements.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...ction=fretsize
        Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Thanks it almost seems like the Kelly has 6115's because they are more squared off at the top and its pretty much a brand new guitar

Comment

Originally posted by quakana
            are more squared off at the top and its pretty much a brand new guitar
            Depends on how level the board was when fretted, how well the frets were seated when installed. The frets are then levelled by grinding the tops off until they are all the same height- the worse the fb or fret install, the more has to be ground off.
            On the other side of the coin, is even if everything looks great, some people like to grind a large flat into the frets and then lightly recrown making your new guitar feel like your favorite "broken in" guitar.... Thats just a matter of who set it up- If you get a chance, take a good look at an EVH charvel- I believe they grind a large flat in most of those. What I saw on the few I've seen anyway.

6100 and 6105 (slightly smaller) are both popular sizes, but most jacksons are "medium jumbo" which I *think* is 6100....

Comment

6100 is a jumbo & i think the biggest fretwire there is, 6105 is med/jumbo & my favorite 6100 height but thinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Postal
                but most jacksons are "medium jumbo" which I *think* is 6100....
                No, most Jacksons are jumbo. Medium jumbo is smaller which is on the KV2.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think Postal is right. When frets are "square-topped" it often means that they have been levelled a lot. I can't think of any fretwire designed to the be square like that - the closest would be low/wide frets.

Btw, I believe John once stated in "Ask Jackson" that J/C use their own custom fretwire.

Comment

Yes, the 6100`s are larger than the 6105`s, and most Jacksons come with 6100`s and all the ones I have had or have now are rounded, non squared off. The largest frets are actually Dunlop 6200`s which are very rare and special order only, I would love to try them, must be huge though!! I love the 6100`s the best out of allthe ones I have tried and can`t stand tiny/skinny frets like on some vintage stuff. Jack.

Comment

I have 6105's in my '82 charvel. They're taller and thinner(same height as a 6100 but skinnier) and I like them! The 6100's in my two new san dimas charvels are also nice. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd suggest telling them to keep as much height as you can when leveling before they send it to you.

Comment

6100 is a jumbo & i think the biggest fretwire there is, 6105 is med/jumbo & my favorite 6100 height but thinner.
                        6000 are bigger

the luthier that measured the frets on my jackson for duplicating the size on my 7 string told me that those are bass guitar frets

Comment

Originally posted by skarhead
                          6000 are bigger

the luthier that measured the frets on my jackson for duplicating the size on my 7 string told me that those are bass guitar frets
                          +1 6000 are like railroad ties
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

That`s it, 6000`s!! I had the wrong #. I wonder who uses those? Jack.

Comment

Working...
                            X