1990 RR1 versus Rhoads Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 RR1 versus Rhoads Pro

I can't remember who it was, but someone had a good comparison of an RR1 and a Rhoads Pro on their website. The only problem is that RR1s have changed a lot over the years, with regards to neck profile, pickups, bridge, headstock shape, logo, etc., etc.

My suggestion was to compare a 1990 or 91 RR1 with a Rhoads Pro since these were the years that Rhoads Pros were manufactured.

Well, I currently have custody of a Rhoads Pro that I purchased off a fellow JCFer for a friend of mine (also a JCF bro). Unfortunately, it has a few issues, but will suffice for an in depth comparison against my 90 RR1.

Rather than talk about what is the same, which would take an awful long time, I'll just go through the (very) short list of what is different.

Weight.
    My RR1 is definitely a tad lighter than the pro. I have heard that USA RR1s have alder wings, whereas Pros have poplar wings. Or maybe it's the other way round, I can't remember.

Logo.
    The RR1 says "Made in USA". The Pro says "Professional". Yeah, I realize that's obvious, but it's actually the only difference. The MOP Jackson logo is identical.

Pickguard.
    The pickguard is positioned slightly different on the Pro, compared to the RR1. The Pro pickguard is parallel to the pickups. The RR1 pickguard is parallel to the side of the body. However, I've seen variation in pickguard location on both Pros and USAs, so it's kind of a moot point.

Truss rod cover screws.
    As retarded as it seems, this is what it has come to. The pro has round head screws, and the RR1 has the flat head countersunk screws.

That's it.

Seriously.

It's really no wonder Jackson put a stop to the pros after 2 years. Everything about the Pro is on par with the USA. The binding, inlays, fretboard, fretwork, and logo, are identical in material quality, and workmanship. The neck profile is the same, and the guitar has the same overall feel to it. Even the bridge is identical. Both guitars have the Schaller bridge, not the cheap knockoff. My RR1 came stock with a pair of J80s, and a pre-amp. I'm not sure what the Pro came with, as it has some cheapo shitty pickups in it right now, and the wiring is seriously fucked up. I believe most Pros came originally with covered Jackson pickups, so they very well could have been J80s. I'm not sure if Pros had the pre-amp or not.

So, the bottom line is, if you want an RR1, but don't want to shell out, a Pro is a very good option (if you can find one that is).
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

not this can of worms again

thanks for the insight tho

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler
      I can't remember who it was, but someone had a good comparison of an RR1 and a Rhoads Pro on their website.
      Henrik does. http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/JacksonRhoadsInfo.htm
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler
        I'm not sure what the Pro came with, they very well could have been J80s. I'm not sure if Pros had the pre-amp or not.
        Rhoads Pro stock pups were J50s. Also the JE-1200 midboost preamp.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
          Rhoads Pro stock pups were J50s. Also the JE-1200 midboost preamp.
          Gotcha. I believe some RR1s had J50s too.

Comment

Next week i will have my RR pro. I'm so excited!
            Jackson & Charvel abuser ...

Comment

Just for the record, I´m pretty sure that the USA ones weren´t called RR-1 yet during that period, but also Rhoads Pro and Rhoads Custom

Comment

anyone do a side by side of the 90/91 warrior usa / warrior pro?
                “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Just for the record, I´m pretty sure that the USA ones weren´t called RR-1 yet during that period, but also Rhoads Pro and Rhoads Custom
                  You are correct, sir. The letter-letter-number designation did not start until around 1995-6.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Damn, now I'm confused. I was previously told it was earlier that it was changed to RR1. The catalog doesn't use the RR1 designation, in fact it just calls it a Rhoads.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                      I thought it was Rhoads Student and Rhoads Custom for USA's? Eh, what do I know anyways?
                      Last edited by StukaJU87; 06-19-2006, 02:20 PM.
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

As far as the warriors go,I believe they were identical, except one said professional, the other said made in usa.
                        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes
                          As far as the warriors go,I believe they were identical, except one said professional, the other said made in usa.
                          Makes sense if the same goes for the Rhoads and Soloist.

Comment

Working...
                          X