SL1 bridge pickup thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL1 bridge pickup thoughts?

Newbie here! Fellow JCF'ers Robotechnology, Daneyo, Psychodave and Danhops told me about this forum . Anyway, I just picked up my
    first Jackson: a used SL1 with a sweet cherryburst flame top.
    I'm in love with the playability of the guitar as well as the unplugged tone. I'm not crazy about how the JB sounds in the bridge. It sounds good for leads but it lacking aggressiveness and warmth for rhythm playing. What pup would give me a smooth lead tone and tight/aggressive rhythm?

Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

- Dimarzio Super 3
    - Gibson 500T
    - Duncan Distortion
    - Duncan Custom

Any other I should consider? I'm not crazy about EMG's....

Thanks!

For a treble cut use the S3, other guys here like the custom custom.
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

That is precisely the ONLY thing I've never liked about the SL1.
      The damn bridge pup is too damn weak. A jack of all trades, expert at nothing.
      The good thing is that there are plenty replacements out there to pump it up.
      Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

If you're going to keep the Duncan single-coils, I'd go with the Custom for consistency. The Super3 is a great choice, too.

BTW, for future reference, this kind of topic is usually discussed in the "tech" area.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon
          Welcome to the forum.

If you're going to keep the Duncan single-coils, I'd go with the Custom for consistency. The Super3 is a great choice, too.

BTW, for future reference, this kind of topic is usually discussed in the "tech" area.
          DOH! Sorry about the newbie mistake. Anyway, the Single coils are definetly going to come out as well...but that will be down the road a bit. The bridge pickup is most important to me, and I'll get some singles to match once I find the right bridge pickup.

Comment

Welcome to the board. Any of those pups listed should be better than the JB (I'm not crazy about it either). A Tone Zone would be a good choice as well.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What I dislike about my SL-1 are the single coils. They are good at nothing

That said im gonna do this : Hot rails / Hot rails / Dimebucker

Comment

Welcome!

but,

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
                  Welcome!

but,

Here you go!!!!!

and a Family pic:

Comment

Wow, beautiful!

For tight aggressive rhythm I can recommend the Duncan Distortion, which is my favourite bridge pickup. I also like the lead sound.
                    I wasn't able to try a Custom yet, but I'm expecting a JacksonStars Rhoads in a few months, which is gonna have a Custom in the bridge.
                    http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Custom is a good pup. You can turn it down a notch and it gets more articulate and dynamic for solos.

But the Dimbucker isn't bad. Had one of those. Bill Lawence 500XL would be another good choice.
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Duncan Screamin' Demon. Its lower output and more vintagey sounding than the others, but I find with the gain available from todays amps, a lower output pickup has a bt more character.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Nice, Welcome aboard! I like the DiMarzio Super 3 the best, then the Duncan Distortion TB-6 next.
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                          X