Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concerns regarding paint/clearcoat issues w/customshop Jacksons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerns regarding paint/clearcoat issues w/customshop Jacksons?

I know in the last two years there has been issues with minor finish flaws in the Jackson/Charvel custom shop guitars. I remember also hearing about the Chlorine finish being a different shade of blue now because of enviromental laws. They had the type of paint they used for that color changed. Also I remember alot of issues with the clearcoat too, on the Dweezil green run. I am sure there is alot we have not heard about as well.

My question is did they change all the paints or just the clearcoat? It seams as though whatever they are doing its not working. I know there have been no problems with the import lines because the lack of overseas enviromental laws dont require changing the paint to often.

I am not trying to stir up sh*t. I am bringing this up because I am getting ready to drop a large sum of money on a custom Jackson. I also had a Sub camo on order as well. I am very worried about having paint issues come up a few years down the road. Even if they get the factory to fix it right now I am very concerned of issues in the future.

I really just want a straight answer like:
    "We changed the clearcoat this year but if you would like we can use the old style for an upcharge."

I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts or input on this?

Perhaps you should post this in the Ask C/J forum, or email a dealer to ask Jackson directly.

I'm not worried about my custom. All handmade products have the potential of having inconsistencies or slight flaws, and I accept that fact.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The reason I posted it here is I wanted an open discussion and others experiences. Some people may have had issues and not sent the guitar back for warranty work. I want to hear both sides is all.

Comment

I don't think the imports are any more consistent than the USAs, but they build so many more guitars that the number of nice finishes probably outweigh the flaws. I've seen many import guitars with a "2" stamped on them just because of a finish flaw, and when you're building 1000 guitars a week you can afford to pick these out and sell them cheaper. If you're a custom shop and spend a year building and painting A guitar, there's no such thing as a "second". I don't think it's the quality of the clear coats either. If anything, I'm sure the japanese plant uses cheaper stuff than the CS. There's not a huge difference among urethane clears/brands. I don't think I can remember ever doing a "perfect" paint job, but the art is in minimizing or hiding the flaws so they aren't noticeable.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

The imports that have finish problems generally sell as blems though. I haven't seen any USA blem sales. Although lately it seems everything from the custom shop can be regarded as a blem. Minus the blem pricing of course. They need to nip that shit in the butt quickly.
          We must!
          We must!
          We must increase the bust!
          The bigger the better!
          The tighter the sweater!
          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I have had two guitars go back. First an early EVH and then the Green Dweezil Charvel. I have had that guitar go back twice, I have been very upset by the lack of quality in the last 2 years.I haven't played the Green Dweezil since I got it almost a year ago,it's still at Charvel. Disgraceful. I want to place some custom orders but I am holding off. I am starting to go with other manufactures.

Comment

as far as i know, they're stiull using WLS clear coat. again, that's as far as i know.
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

What is WLS ?
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

dunno what it specifically stands for, but WLS is the brand that they use. again, that was as of this winter.
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I read the thread about the sub-camo dinky's but I still don't exactly understand what the problem with the finish is? Why were they sent back?

Comment

Working...
                    X