My first!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre></pre><hr />

My dogs name is Muffin. He is a dogbra (zebra + dog). You can order that specific breed out of the back of the National Geographic magazines. He is a super neat animal and can easily jump over my truck.

I'm jk. I can use the buzz clippers very well.

My biggest problem with playing so far is that I have very few guitar friends to jam or play with so that I can learn more. The guitar instructor is good, but I only get to ask ?'s and work on problems for 30 minutes. I want to learn to play consistant and I don't mind doing the work I am just not sure sometimes if I am progressing or if I am just waisting my time messing around.

Anyways, I am getting towards the frustrating phase somewhat.

Comment

Hmmmmm....

Comment

Welcome to the Board Enjoy your stay !
        According To The Prophecy

Comment

Welcome to the board of all boards and that is a nice Blue Jackson you have. Don't forget to mix it up a little between learning all the "head" stuff. Play from your heart and ear once in awhile. You have the basics, jam with a CD or the radio. Remember to have fun! I'm still having fun playing after 41 years of trying to learn to play the guitar and 2 Degree's in Music and one in Engineering (you never stop learning) Your teacher should know this. I've had 8 or 9 teachers in my instructional phase of life and the last one was the best. Listening and playing with others is fantastic too.

This is also coming from a former Motocrosser myself, doing only vintage racing these days - only!
          Last edited by Bengal65; 07-11-2006, 10:55 PM.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Anyways, I am getting towards the frustrating phase somewhat.
            Just stick with it, I went through that phase at the end of last year. Once I was able to get through it I noticed a definite change for the better. I'm still a hack, but at least what I play doesn't sound like total ass anymore.

Welcome to the JCF. That's a nice starter guitar for sure, and I'm totally digging the color of it.

Comment

Welcome aboard Heather you have great taste in guitars.We all have times when the learning slows down but don't let it get you down keep after it and practice, practice, practice.Live,eat, sleep guitar don't forget give it every thing you've got and play from the heart.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler
                What a bunch of leg humpers!! :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
                I believe that the JCF term is SSMB's

Originally posted by girlyplaya
                My biggest problem with playing so far is that I have very few guitar friends to jam or play with so that I can learn more.
                You can jam and play along with Eddie, Satch, and Vai all you want, if you have a CD/cassette/record player.

One way that I improved my playing was by having my guitar with me in front of the TV. I would play mindless finger exercises during the program, and then play along with the commercial jingles.

I don't watch television anymore, and it looks like you may not have time to sit in front of the boob tube either, what with your interests and activities... Just a suggestion, though.

Originally posted by girlyplaya
                The guitar instructor is good, but I only get to ask ?'s and work on problems for 30 minutes.
                If you have the cash, how about shelling out some more for hour lessons?

Hope this helps,
                -QR
                Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Originally posted by Charlz
                  Hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Down boy! Heel! Or she might do to you what she did to the dog.
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Pick up some book/video instruction to supplement your lessons.
                    I've used these books with good results. http://www.guitarencyclopedia.com/

Comment

Most of all be patient!! It's taken me YEARS to get where I'm at, and I think I still suck!! Don't let other guitarists intimidate you! God knows we've all been to shows and seen that one guitarist that made us not want to pick an axe up fpr a couple of weeks! If you get players block I suggest to learn a song you've always wanteed to learn! South of Heaven is a good one! Lol!
                      I love admins!

Comment

What I need to do is video tape a short clip to let you critique. I went to my lesson yesterday and explained my frustration to my teacher (he is a music major - guitar & sax). I told him I know how to play tabs and I can play riffs. If you asked me what I was playing, notes & chords, I would be at a loss of words to a degree.

He suggested getting out my beginner book that has the old time songs in it, but it is not tabbed. It is sheet music so that you have to know the notes you are playing. Of course, he said keep doing the other stuff that makes playing fun, but take a different approach. I feel like that is a step back, but playing is a high for me like when I started riding dirtbikes a few years ago and within a year or so of riding I was invited to the X GAMES. So I can play, I just don't want to waist my time. What I mean by that is, I want to progress consistantly at the pace I know my talents will let me. Thanks so much for all the input! I feel loved!

Comment

Hey there!

One of the best and fastest ways you can improve is by purchasing the entry level instruction books from Troy Stetina, i can guarantee you'll get better.

Welcome to the board. Nice choice of guitar to learn the art!

C'ya around.

Rodrigo.
                          Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by kuerbo
                            Hey there!

One of the best and fastest ways you can improve is by purchasing the entry level instruction books from Troy Stetina, i can guarantee you'll get better.

Welcome to the board. Nice choice of guitar to learn the art!

C'ya around.

Rodrigo.
                            +1 Those books are very good. Also Doug Marks Metal Method. Troy comes from a traditionally trained musician background to a real world "hands-on" guitar player. It sounds like your teacher is teaching you standard notation. This will take awhile to learn, although it's very good and wlill help you understand Theory when you get to it. I once had a teacher that graduated Julliard with high honors. He kept me in Book 1 of the Berklee Method for 2 years. I ended up learning more on my own in those 2 years. This teacher was a perfectionist, but insane at the same time. So, you have to watch out for balance between methods of teaching in standard notation and tab playing. Techinically, standard notation is much faster to play to, because after much experience you should be able to play the tune in any position on the guitar and in any key. The tab method gives you a better visual and helps for learning quickly to play by ear. Best Of Luck!
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Don't forget that many of the greats never learned any theory!! So don't let what everybody tries to teach you tell you whats right and wrong!! Also don't be afraid to venture into doing anything original (if you already don't), you don't always have to do what's aleady been done!! And as gay as it sounds, let your ears/heart decide, cuz that's what it's all about!!
                              I love admins!

Comment

Originally posted by sl2lover
                                Don't forget that many of the greats never learned any theory!! So don't let what everybody tries to teach you tell you whats right and wrong!! Also don't be afraid to venture into doing anything original (if you already don't), you don't always have to do what's aleady been done!! And as gay as it sounds, let your ears/heart decide, cuz that's what it's all about!!
                                Absolutely. Just fumble your way through what you hear and play by ear.
                                If only I had back the money I gave that TV preacher....

Comment

Working...
                                X