Jackson Shipping Damage Help Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Shipping Damage Help Please?

Hey all. I just received a 2005 DK2 With Blue Orange Flames. There was no case in the deal and the guitar arrived with a big chunk taken out of the tip of the headstock and a finish crack right near the neck pocket. Fed-Ex wants an estimate for the repair damage and I have taken it to a local store of mine and they wanted nothing to do with giving me a document to help. Do any of you work at a Music Store and would be willing to send or fax me a repair bill so I can get these guys to reimburse me? I paid 349.00 for a new old stock guitar so I am telling the seller I want 150.00 back from Fed-Ex for the damage seeing how the neck would have to be replaced due to the fact that it is not repairable. Any help would be great
    Thanks
    Dave

I would go to Ebay and do a completed auctions search for a DK-2 NECK only. I have seen them go for $250 for the neck alone, the most valuable part. Also, have you gotten a quote from Jackson for the replacement neck? If they'll sell you one for $150 shipped that's great, but at $150 you may be shorting yourself. Print out a copy of the completed auction to show the street price for the neck, again IF Jackson won't sell you a replacement neck cheaper.

A shop would probably charge an average of $65 an hour for labor, plus materials. It's pretty safe to say it'd take more than 3 hours to prep and repair the headstock, so costwise that's probably why your local shop doesn't want to quote a repair. A replacement neck will be cheaper than a quality repair, and even the best repair would show from the back.

Not much, but I hope this helps...
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

re headstock damage

I had a model 6 (which is neck thru) tha had the tip of the headstock broken off and the binding cracked and missing etc. Plus the head stock was painted on the back due to being neck thru. I wanted to restore it so i had a local luthier fix it for me and it was about 180 bucks including matching and replacing the binding repairing cracks in the finish at the nut painting the back of the headstock to an exact match of the black cherry finish that has aged some and painting the chips on the black face of the headstock. I've repaird myself a DK2 headstock that has been broken inhalf at the g string tuner from bass side to treble side completely off. I didnt replace the binding or abything but the headstock is solid. Almost all headstock repairs should be repairable no mater how extreme. If dont properly by a qualified luthier it will be even stronger than it was originally. Since it's not a painted headstock or neck aside from the face of it being black. It shold be pretty easy to fix for the right guy and touch up too. So bassed on my repair cost of about $180 US
      it would probably be about that at the most to just repair the end and repaint the chipped areas and etc.
      Gil

Comment

Thanks for the response Guys

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat
          I would go to Ebay and do a completed auctions search for a DK-2 NECK only. I have seen them go for $250 for the neck alone, the most valuable part. Also, have you gotten a quote from Jackson for the replacement neck? If they'll sell you one for $150 shipped that's great, but at $150 you may be shorting yourself. Print out a copy of the completed auction to show the street price for the neck, again IF Jackson won't sell you a replacement neck cheaper.

A shop would probably charge an average of $65 an hour for labor, plus materials. It's pretty safe to say it'd take more than 3 hours to prep and repair the headstock, so costwise that's probably why your local shop doesn't want to quote a repair. A replacement neck will be cheaper than a quality repair, and even the best repair would show from the back.

Not much, but I hope this helps...
          Thanks Lerx....I thought Jackson did not sell replacement necks? I got the guy to refund my $$ in full and bought a USA Charvie BOF instead Glad to get your input on this!
          Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X