Sl2H easier to play then Sl2hT or am I crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sl2H easier to play then Sl2hT or am I crazy

I've got a couple of sl2h's and I went to a friends house and played his sl2ht. He doesn't like floyds but for some reason his guitar felt a lot different. Both had 9's and were tuned to E and the string thru just seemed tighter for lack of a better word. My strings felt like rubber after playing the string thru. Is the floyd make the guitar that much easier to play ? I use the floyd because it stays in tune forever not cause I do any crazy stuff. I was thinking of trying an sl2ht but dam my axe was like I was at home. Am I crazy?

Personal preference. It will feel like a different experience playing it. I'm more of a string-thru kind of guy, gives me better feel in my right hand when muting and whatnot. You might be the opposite.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

You are used to your guitar that could be some of it to but as far as bending it might feel easier with the floyd because if you notice the floyd will move a little while you bend. A string thru has no give other than the flex of the strings themselves. I like string thrus better due to the strings being a little closer together (string spacing)

Comment

GodOfRhythm could not have said it any better i'm the exact same, for me its probably cause I've played string-thru-bodies from day one , any sort of a bridge change would not fell right , the sl2ht is perfect for me , i think a sl2ht holds its tuning very well, i dont use floyds cause i have no use for them.

Comment

Interesting.. I am awaiting my first Floyd.

Comment

Also remember the string through bridge sits higher above the body than the floyd, which is recessed into the body, and the neck angle is different according to the type of bridge.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by rga321
              Interesting.. I am awaiting my first Floyd.
              Don't let this thread through you. There are many fans of Floyd's here . I started using Floyd's after 38 years of playing, nothing but hardtails, string thru's, and vintage trems. All are slightly different in feel, but now you can't get me to play with anything but a Floyd. Heck, I now have a Les Paul with a Floyd!
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by quakana
                You are used to your guitar that could be some of it to but as far as bending it might feel easier with the floyd because if you notice the floyd will move a little while you bend. A string thru has no give other than the flex of the strings themselves. I like string thrus better due to the strings being a little closer together (string spacing)
                You are partially right.

The Floyd allows movement when stretching, but the movement itself reduces the tension in the string (the reaction at the bridge is smaller), hence it takes a larger bend to achieve the same note. Overall, it counteracts itself and is about the same for both. StrT require more force and bend less, and Floyd requires less force and bends more ... at the end the achieved note is the same.
                Jackson RR3 (Japan, single EMG81)
                Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Plus (American, Lace Gold Sensors)
                Collings MT Mandolin

Comment

I'm getting my first floyd soon too, i cant wait to see what it feels and plays like.

Comment

2 words, PIKA: Speed holes

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well I played both again and I'm convinced the floyd just plays way better. The string length is considerably shorter from locking nut to bridge vs. tuning peg to back of guitar . Probably 3 inches shorter so maybe that also makes it easier,I mean a lot easier. I was thinking on getting a string thru but not after today. Thanks guys.
                      Speed holes?

Comment

I learned on a guitar with a Rose. When I play my sl2ht the bridge height does make a difference in the way it feels. Play the HT for a while, it will get easier to play after a short time.

Comment

The Floyd gives a little with hard picking, in fact you can hear it flutter during picking if you listen carefully. For a better comparison, try anchoring the Floyd then compare it to the thru.
                          Last edited by rEs; 07-22-2006, 04:02 PM.
                          I made a rock n roll sin when I tried giving in to make money, had to turn down low.

Comment

depends on the amount of springs i guess

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A
                              Well I played both again and I'm convinced the floyd just plays way better. The string length is considerably shorter from locking nut to bridge vs. tuning peg to back of guitar . Probably 3 inches shorter so maybe that also makes it easier,I mean a lot easier. I was thinking on getting a string thru but not after today. Thanks guys.
                              Speed holes?
                              Extra string length beyond the scale length (i.e. behind the nut or after the bridge) generally gives a slinkier feel. Try a Jazzmaster or Jaguar for an extreme example of this. So technically, a Floyd should feel tighter because from a physics standpoint the strings basically end at the nut. Another factor that affects string tension is the angle of the strings outside the scale length. Unlike stoptail guitars, string through guitars don't allow adjustment of the angle behind the bridge. Is the downward angle of the strings on the string through guitar rather steep? Also, how steep is the headstock angle? That might at least partially explain it.

Comment

Working...
                              X