Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Soloist SL3

Hey,
    Im looking to maybe get an SL3 (pro series). Whats it like - how does it compare to the standard DK2 and the Ibanez RG2550ex\RG2570e? Its just theres nowhere near me where I can try one out!

It calls itself "soloist" - is it really that amazing for lead playing? And no, i cannot afford a USA series...

I know you're all Jackson fans, but plz try and be impartial and objective
    Thanks

The 2006 SL3 has a real Floyd, and real Duncans. The trem would be its biggest selling point for me, as I don't like the licensed trems as much. The 2006 DK2 also has real Duncans, but not a real Floyd.

It's a shame the SL3 didn't get neck binding - I think the DK2 looks a little "classier" because it has that.

As for playability between neck-thru (Soloist) vs. bolt-on (Dinky), it's more or less a preference thing. It would mostly matter when you play really high up on the neck (say, past the 15th fret), as the Soloist probably has a little better fret access near the body.

I'm not very familiar with Ibanezes, but I understand they have really thin necks. The Jacksons will not have super-thin necks, which I think is a plus (my hand cramps up with too thin necks).

If I had to choose between SL3 and DK2, I would go with the SL3, because I'm addicted to neck-throughs and real Floyds. But if I had my options a little more open, I would look for a used Charvel 650XL - it's essentially an old-style Jackson Soloist under a different name - and sometimes they go cheap.
    Last edited by Sunbane; 07-26-2006, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
      I would look for a used Charvel 650XL - it's essentially an old-style Jackson Soloist under a different name - and sometimes they go cheap.
      that, or a 90s Jackson Professional Soloist, which is 100% same as SL1 (except for schaller instead of OFR and pickups).

Comment

could someone give me a link to a Charvel 650xl? i cant even find pic!

Comment

here you go. found with google. not the best pic but the only it found:

Comment

very nice!
            If anyone could say how the sl3 compares to the Ibanez rg2550ex\2570 i would love u long time!

Oh and i prefer neck-thro to bolt-on, but even so, would i find the USA made DK1 better for soloing than the Pro series SL3???
            Last edited by nomis101uk; 07-26-2006, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X