Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello everybody..I have a charvel "neck " question

Hello,
    I am new to this board ..I have watched it for a while and have noticed some real knowledgable people post here ( experts actually). I am a lead guitarist in a metal band and my main instrument is a Jackson jj-1...this is the perfect guitar for downtuned palm muted rhythm work... any ways here is my question

I just scored a charvel model 3a for $200..It is mint but I am looking to "san dimas" it with a strat headstock, maple neck, and real floyd rose...Is gmw the best place to go? Will they get me a neck that will fit the pocet perfectly and line up....I have seen there work and it looks awesome....any recomendations would be helpful..

Re: hello everybody..I have a charvel "neck " question

first of all, welcome....is your board name at all related to the "lafours" character from mallrats? if so, nice one!

anyway, necks from gmw start at 250, add at least 120 for a floyd, and you've dropped a fair amount of money on what already should be a pretty nice guitar... just a thought.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

i'm guessing that the model 3 will have a jackson jt6 trem on it, which is okay, but imo, not the greatest thing in the world. a floyd (schaller or original floyd rose) will drop right in. pickups are always subjective to tastes, and personally, i'd plan on putting at least swappin the bridge pickup out. however, the model necks are pretty nice, so i'm sure that you'll be happy with it!

then again, i love modding the hell outta things, so have at it!

sully
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

how is the lock nut on the guitar... I know its wierd like a kahler nut I think..it's right on the headstock...I will put some duncans in in I am sure...

Comment

i know that the model experts can correct me if i'm wrong, but yes, i believe the lock nuts were kahlers.... no big diff to me. my spectrum has one, and it's fine. then again, i've never really looked for too much from a locking nut! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

sully
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

1. Don't replace the neck. That's the guitar's strongest feature. Otherwise, you might as well just drop the $$$ on a custom GMW. The Charvel Model guitars from the '80s have great necks!

2. If the JT-6 is in good shape, don't bother spending the $$$ to replace it. If you plan on doing any Vai-style abuse with it, you might have to replace it eventually, but otherwise, they do work well, even if they are not particularly durable. If the JT-6 is worn out, you should then think about going with an original Floyd Rose, but know that you will have to perform some surgery to fit the bridge posts for the Floyd, which are a different size than those for the JT-6. I don't know if a Floyd would line up properly on the JT-6's posts or not.

3. Some people love those pickups. Give them a shot. Personally, I have always replace the Jackson pickups in any J/C I've gotten, but that's just me.

4. Yes, the guitar will have the Kahler-style stringlock behind the nut. They aren't as nice as a locking nut, but they work fine. Probably too much hassle and $$$ to replace in comparison to any benefit you'd get.

Comment

On all my Jackson`s and Charvel`s that I`ve owned,I`ve always replaced the JT-6 with a Schaller unit which fits straight in with no modification needed. Also, I fit a zero fret locking nut (also Schaller) in place of the original as the originals seem to wear out and I`ve had real tuning problems in the past.
              Hope this helps
              Steve.

Comment

Jsully,

Thanx for the reply...If I get the guitar and like it I will keep it intact....ever have any luck with the old jackson floyd? I am not expecting much of it or the Jackson pickups....I will post some pics when I get it...and yes my name is from Mallrats [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ March 04, 2003, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: lafours ]

Comment

actually in the photos ( ebay ) and description the bridge looks mint without any corrosion...I am not a super "wanger" so I will probobly leave the guitar intact except for the pickups of course...but heck I might even like them....I grew up always wanting an old model series but I was living off a paper route at the time and opted for a usa Kramer Pacer...which actually wqas not that great to me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

actually in the photos ( ebay ) and description the bridge looks mint without any corrosion...I am not a super "wanger" so I will probobly leave the guitar intact except for the pickups of course...but heck I might even like them....I grew up always wanting an old model series but I was living off a paper route at the time and opted for a usa Kramer Pacer...which actually wqas not that great to me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Model 2 and 3 guitars are outrageous values today. They are very usable real guitars--not 'toys' in any way.

Comment

if its got the jackson j-90's just rip the pickup (emg type) cover off and it will sound great.

i have 2 model 3's: a model 3 and a model 3a. i love them both. i got the model 3 when i was 14, my parents payed half for my birthday and i bought the other half with my allowance (mowing dads front yard) it has been a great guitar to me over the years. the only people i would ever sell it to are my brother and my childhood friend. i got the model 3a about 3 or 4 years ago, and loaded it with the zakk wylde set up (81/85) - love it! pretty much retired the model 3 when i got it. since then i've gotten a fernandez revolver, great little axe. doesn't sound as good as the charvels though. i just recently got cahrvel avenger (rhoads shape) plays great, i even did the charvel single coil in the neck.

bottom line, don't do anything more than a pickup change to your 3a. it is such a great guitar as is. pop those pickup covers off and i think you'll be satisfied with the stock pickups. you might want to try adding more springs in the trem cavity if you do alot of bending and diving. but that it! the 3a is one of my favorite guitars. and at 200 bucks, you just can't beat that deal!
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I love the Model series necks. Some of the most playable necks out there. I have a couple of JT-6 trems one on my model 3 a model 6 and one on my Lightning strat (see avitar). The one on my lightning strat is always in tune and it flutters almost as well as my Stealth does. Even without being back routed. Its way cool. Although turning the fine tuners can a bit of a pain: like when the
                          bridge tips as you put your finger under it to turn it.
                          Oh well still love the trem anyway.
                          Gil

Comment

I think the JT6 works fine and stays in tune great with the behind-the-nut lock. The nut is actually not made by Kahler, it's Jackson's own JT6 nut which is similar to a Kahler.
                            An Original Floyd or Schaller will retrofit perfectly on those posts. Kevin Easton from Jackson told me last year he used to swap those trems out all the time in the shop and that string spacing is the same.
                            Though, if the posts are worn down, OFR posts won't fit and you'll either have to find originals or route for the new OFR posts.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanks folks...you guys got me more than excited for this axe...If I like it I will probobly be sucked in to putting together a collection of model guitars [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X