Finished my RR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished my RR!

Well after many months (about 5) I finally finished my RR. I bought the body from a guy on eBay. After paint and all, it comes in at 11lbs. and is a back breaker! But all that weight makes it sound good imo. The paint job is done with rattle cans but I am pleased with it. I had to do some major route work to get the Floyd to do pull ups. I don't really pull up allot on it but I like to have Floyds that work as they were designed to. It is an Original Floyd and boy can you tell. I went with SD pickups. A Jazz in the neck and a TB4 in the bridge. I had to cut the neck down to 22 frets but this worked out to my advantage as the pocket was routed straight (tele style) and would not accept a round heel. It is 25.5 scale and intonates properly. I really love it but its tough to play for long periods.

I'm getting started on a second one which will match the mans guitar more than this one. It's getting Strat style tremolo with a white/black pin stripes paint job. Anyway pics below

http://www.z1n.com/public-files/cust...el_RR_0001.jpg
    http://www.z1n.com/public-files/cust..._0001_body.jpg
    http://www.z1n.com/public-files/cust..._0001_neck.jpg
    http://www.z1n.com/public-files/cust..._0001_both.jpg
    http://www.z1n.com/public-files/cust...el_RR_0002.jpg

Cool Cool! Has that LTD look.....Is it me or is that body HUGE? Looks great! Awesome Job you did there

Comment

Originally posted by quakana
      Cool Cool! Has that LTD look.....Is it me or is that body HUGE? Looks great! Awesome Job you did there
      Thanks and yes it is huge.

Comment

Very nice job, enjoy your new RR!
        Just one more guitar!

Comment

Congrats, definitely an old school vibe there.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Good job....looks nice! However, 11 pounds would ruin it for me. I just wouldn't own a guitar that heavy.

Comment

Did you think about doing Black pin stripes like the orig Rhoads? that might be cool too!

Comment

Originally posted by quakana
                Did you think about doing Black pin stripes like the orig Rhoads? that might be cool too!
                +1 That would tighten it up a bit. It looks really nice though.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

That thing looks ginormous! But it's totally badass! Nice work!!!

Comment

very cool - i love the switch position
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

What kind of wood is the body made of? 11 lbs. OMG
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

That just looks badass! Is the body laminated like the other one? I'd think it would be tough to make a finish look good for very long. Nice work!
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

The body is made of about 17 pieces of maple and is like the unfinished one in the pick. I don’t think it's laminated, well it doesn't have a top piece like a flame top (isn't that laminated?). It looks to me like the body was glued together by a bunch of long pieces of maple, cut to shape, and routed. If it's lying on its back, you can see lines running up and down on the side of the bottom. On the front and back of the body, you can barely see these same lines. Isn't a one piece body the best (besides the wood type) for construction? Is this method of gluing a bunch of pieces good or just cheap/crappy? I dunno but I paid $10.00 for it on eBay (lol). I built this because I've always wanted an LTD but just can't spend the money everyone wants for them. The most I can justify spending on a guitar is 2K and could never wait it out for a CS version (not that I could get CS version for 2K)

Thanks

Comment

oh and on a side note, I found a tip(think it was mm2002) on putting rattle cans in hot water for about 10 minutes before painting. If that was your tip mm2002, thanks it really helped. I wish I could paint the Real way using the base/clear but I chickened out after reading all the warnings and birth defects and decided to go cheap. I get scared just using that freaking Final Klean. I do use a proper mask but all the warnings about spontaneous combustion. Same goes for that Boiled Linseed oil! read the warnings on it. rags will flame instantly if not properly laid out to dry! hehe or something like that.

Dave

Comment

Really nice project, z1n! Did you do the matching head stock yourself, new decal and all?
                              Henrik
                              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                              X