Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from across the ocean

Hi there

...and thanks for starting to read my introductory post.

As I am typing this it is almost midnight in Germany. All the promises, the final track on Operation Mindcrime II is just playing in the background. I does not quite manage to take me back to the eighties, which would help to get this post going. I grab BÖCs Imaginos which works better.

I was never a serious guitar player or professional musician. Back in 1985 thru 87 I was a singer of an unknown metal band in Germany. That project was great fun but never really took off. I needed money. So after going crazy for about an entire year of practicing during the week, gigging and/or partying every weekend I quit in 87, went to university and got a job. Never touched a musical instrument since then.

Not until about 2 years ago anyway. I guess midlife crisis kicked in after 38 years of living on this planet. I wanted to rock again. I still had an older Hohner GT3 Steinberger copy which I bought from a friend a few years ago along with a Rockman and never played. I grabbed it out of its bag, tried to tune it and play. That did not work too well with the corroded strings. So I took it to the local music store to have it properly set up and get new strings. While being there I noticed a well used white Charvel import model with a licensed Floyd. Without thinking I bought the thing right there along with a smaller Marshall solid state amp. Hell, I really wanted to play asap.

After messing with the charvel for a few days I found that it held its tune really bad, even without using the tremolo arm. Frustrated I took it back to the shop. Frustrated because otherwise I liked it a lot.

The shop owner told me that he had some really nice guitars in stock that were not on display. Among them a USA Jackson built in 87 or 88, red firecrackle, JT-6 trem, signed by Grover, and never been played.

So I got my first USA Jackson in pristine condition. I played it a lot since then in my living room. I got carried away. The first week I played until my fingers bled. Some kind of therapy.

In the meantime the solid state Marshall was replaced by a JTM60 and I got a Boss GS-10. The combination gives me plenty of nice sounds, especially the GS-10. I might replace of the JTM60 in a while.

I also got a black Ovation Elite 1778T which I like a lot, although the neck needed a little getting used to because it is so different.

Recently I aquired a very used and abused USA Jackson with some kind of Freddy Kruger custom paint on ebay. That thing was in terrible shape and is probably the main reason for why I am here. The JT-6 bridge was all rusty. Lots of screws are missing as are most parts of the locking nut and the tremolo arm. The electronics did not work. When searching for info on replacement parts lucky me stumbled over jcfonline and all you fellas.

Right now I have ordered the most important parts at Dave's www.fretsonthenet.net and wait for delivery.

In the meantime I took the Freddy apart completely, except for the tuners, removed the rust from the bridge, oiled it, polished the body, cleaned and oiled the neck, got a new volume pot, resoldered the electronics and restrung it with 0.09-0.42 strings instead of the 0.10-0.46 it came with. Being still pretty clueless when it comes to setup and intonation (never dared to touch the firecrackle with my inexperienced hands) I only setup the bridge and the action, which worked quite well. Even without the locking nut it already holds tune pretty good. The action is great. Already lower than on the firecrackle, no fret-buzz, and it almost plays by itself (which most people see as an advantage over me playing it). I will try some preliminary intonation in a few days.

It was (and is) a very rewarding experience to fix this very nice guitar. Yes, I am already in love with the Freddy.

I took some pictures tonight. So here are my four babies:

... and this is the Freddy after stage one, still missing some parts and some work, but cranking out some wicked screams already:

To wrap this post up: I guess I am a recreational guitar player rather than a collector. At least for now. For my bank account's sake I hope this purchasing of 80's USA Jacksons does not turn into a habit. After reading some scary posts here on this forum I am slightly concerned.

Cheers
    Mike

Edit: fixed some typos
    Last edited by dynamike; 08-09-2006, 02:37 AM.
    the curtains flew and he appeared saying, don't be afraid
    -- BÖC

Seasons don't fear the Reaper
    Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain
    We can be like they are

Welcome to the forum buddy
    Greetings from Norway
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Hi well...I am a newbie too..Welcome aboard! Dave (Budman68) from fretsonthenet is a member here and will fix you right up from what I have seen and heard. He is the Man!!!
      Have fun and cut up all your credit cards...this place gives you GAS real bad...I speak from experience

Comment

Hi welcome aboard!!

Comment

hey, welcome aboard!!
          nice collection you got! I have a firecrackle myself, still one of the most lovely finishes there are IMO.
          and I'm sure your parts will arrive pretty fast. dave is really awesome to deal with.
          congrats on re-joining guitar and also enjoy your stay here!!

btw; which ocean are you talking about?
          sorry, couldn't resist this one...
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Great story bro! A very thorough and interesting introduction, welcome!

Comment

Hey Mike welcome aboard Beware of G.A.S.

Great introduction to, Nice guitars
              According To The Prophecy

Comment

Willkommen!
                große Einleitung
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Welcome to the JCF Mike
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Welcome, and that's a great introduction! I love the guitars, I remember seeing the Freddy on eBay, looks awesome!!! Good luck on getting it fixed up just the way you want it!
                    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

hi bro
                      glad the Freddy went to a community member
                      greetz
                      andy

Comment

Thanks guys!

Now I have to ask, what does GAS/G.A.S. stand for? I assume it is not that kind of physical condition that, if relieved, makes you want to throw open the windows real wide.

Regarding Dave, I agree. So far it has been nothing but a pleasure to deal with him.

@micha
                        I love the firecrackle finish too. The guy I bought mine from told me that he purchased it back in 87, 88 or 89 at the International Musikmesse Frankfurt, directly from Jackson while Grover was there signing the headstocks. Mine reads 100/16 above the signature. Is yours signed too and red/yellow as well?

Yes, the thread title does not make a lot of sense. It was preliminary and I forgot to change it. Which ocean, ahem, yeah. I keep forgetting that this is the internet, like international. There is no excuse other than it was late. It must have been the ocean of dreams from across which that post was coming.

Mike
                        -- BÖC

Comment

GAS = Guitar Aquisition Syndrome
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli
                            GAS = Guitar Aquisition Syndrome
                            Do I already have it when I check the Jackson section on ebay on a daily basis. And ask the owner of the local music store every other month or so to show me his tucked away unused 1987 Jackson custom Explorer, black with pink grid stripes and Kahler trem, which keeps calling me in my dreams?
                            -- BÖC

Comment

The symptoms increase exponentially when you join the JCF!
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X