No announcement yet.

Super thick CS Charvel body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is exactly what Eddie did. He had Lynn make him a 1 3/4 inch thick Mahogany body for a Floyd. It eventually received the tribal graphic in black and white. I think it was a failed experiment. Eddie discovered that keeping the Floyd pinned to the body, not floating, tended to negate alot of the sustain and brightness issues.

So, there you go.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

hmm, funny because floyds work well on LPs.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Endrik, I really don't think getting a huge heavy body is the answer to what you're wanting to achieve, especially if you're going with a Floyd anyway. I think the key to that "thick" tone has more to do with the pickups, and their placement. Most strat style axes seem to have the bridge pup very close to the bridge, which makes the sound a little thinner. If the bridge pup is placed a little farther from the bridge (I'm only talking around 7/16" to 1/2" away). You'd be surprised how much thicker it will sound, and more sustain too. Of course the neck hum is a no brainer, I have no problem getting a good LP sound from the neck hum of my guitars equipped as such.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

A DiMarzio Tone Zone will work wonders in the thick, heavy tone, too!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

would it be a good idea to have it without any (maple) top, only mahogany base body?
            like SL2h-mah w/ standard colors
            Last edited by Endrik; 09-01-2006, 05:22 AM.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I may just have an answer to all of your problems Endrik. See the new thread on guitar tones in the tech q&a section.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

hey thanks, I'll take one

Comment

All mahogany guitars rock! My LP Studio is all mahogany, even the carved top. My old JJP was like that, too. Some people think it may be too dark and a little muddy without the maple top to brighten it up, but I don't think so at all.

Comment

I agree Joe, they do rock

Anyway I think that 24 fret, 25,5" scale, 1 3/4" nut, super thick 50's type LP roundback maple neck and fingerboard will give all the brightness it needs.

Comment

Yeah, that should work out nicely!

Comment

Love the all mahogony studios.They have the tone I like.
                        I find getting too technical when building a guitar takes the fun and suprise out of it.I'm sure Slash could hook you up with a Mahogony body.Try a mahogony neck with it that will help in your quest for FAT tone.
                        Pickup placement has a whole lot to do with it as well.
                        Quality pots and caps(rsguitarworks.net) are a must if you want great tone.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                        X