Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a little help !

Hi all !
    I've been playing acoustic guitar for a year now.
    My cousin just gave me an electric guitar, and I don't really know what is it.
    It's a Charvel/Jackson one, and I would like to know which is it's reference. It's all red, here it is:

I think it's quiet old (10/15 years old)
    Also, I opened it, and it has a battery inside, I think it's for the preamp, I changed it.
    I don't know at all the Charvel/Jackson brand, but god damned, it has such a great sound !
    It has a Kahler bridge system, but no tremolo, do you know where could I buy one ?
    My amp is quiet old, it's ten years old, it's a Peavey Rage 158 (15W) and when I play, it's very very crackly. So if someone could give me any advice concerning a new amp, that would be great. My local guitar shop advices me a Roland Cube 30 at 210$. I have not tried it, is that a good amp ?
    Thanks guys

That's a Charvel model 5
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Damn, looks like a Charvel Model 5. If it's a neck through, then I'm sure that's what it is. That's a heck of a lot of guitar, especially considering your cousin gave it to you.

I'm a Peavey fan myself, but I would take that sweet Charvel to a few shops and play around with amps and find which one I like the best.

Comment

ok thanks, and do you know where and when it has been built ?

Comment

Charvel Model 5. Made in Japan. I don't know how to tell what year it was made but probably late 80's.

Comment

Here you can see that it's a neck through

Comment

Thanks everyone
              Could anyone learn me things about this guitar ? I don't know anything about Charvel. And which tremolo choose ?

Comment

as others have said, it's a Model 5, made in Japan in '86. So it's 20 years old!

you can try your luck tracking down a tremolo arm on ebay, or you can buy one new from FretsOnTheNet.com

oh, and the Roland Cube 30 is a good little amp. Definitely try your Charvel through one and see how you like it.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Looks to be missing the allen screws for the string lock./Made in Japan 86-88. The one you have is most likely an 86-87 model 5 with a Kahler tremolo.Very nice.
                  You are correct it does have a pre amp.The pickups are passive.You have the JE 1200 mid boost system.So 1st knob is vol 2ndknob is tone 3rd knob is mid boost.
                  Last edited by straycat; 09-04-2006, 11:30 AM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Wow...thats one nice cousin!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cory
                      Wow...thats one nice cousin!!
                      Agreed. Awesome looking Charvel he gave you.
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

It's a 86 mod 5 the screws are 3mm allen for the locking nut and you can use a replacement fender arm for the Kahler . If you are close to a Guitar center they're having their Labor day sale on everthing so try as many amp as you can. Also Vox makes a nice modeling amp for around that price .

Comment

Nice 86', first year import for the model series.
                          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr
                            It's a 86 mod 5 the screws are 3mm allen for the locking nut and you can use a replacement fender arm for the Kahler . If you are close to a Guitar center they're having their Labor day sale on everthing so try as many amp as you can. Also Vox makes a nice modeling amp for around that price .
                            Thanks, but I live in Paris in France and there is no guitar center here, and the good guitar shops are pretty rare. So it's rare to find a shop where they have all the amps you want to try.
                            Is the amp you're talking about is this one ? http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._sku=102640802
                            Would this tremolo arm work with my guitar ?
                            http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._sku=100303299
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Totoralex
                              Would this tremolo arm work with my guitar ?
                              http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._sku=100303299
                              Thanks
                              no, it won't. But if you're planning on buying an arm from the US anyway, check out my earlier post:

Originally posted by VitaminG
                              you can try your luck tracking down a tremolo arm on ebay, or you can buy one new from FretsOnTheNet.com
                              >FretsOnTheNet.com<-----click here for parts to suit your guitar
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X