what's it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's it worth?

1) when you wanna sell your jackson, at what percentage of it's original RRP value should it be? i'm taking into consideration: it's an import and has some minor cosmetic damage. i want a realistic price rather than fuck all or labelled as a greedy motherfucker.

2) usually the depreciation on a guitar that i've sold off privately will be worse than a trade in - at least in my experience. having said that, i could always stick it on shitbay. so, when you want another guitar but need to get shot of another, where is your first choice? - shop or ebay?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

The trick is to take it to a music store that you hate because of the dumbass sales people and poor business practices. Lie to them and tell them how valuable and rare the guitar is, and try to get at least double its value as a trade in. Also don't forget to lie to them about the guitar you're trading it in on, explaining to them why it's not worth near what they're asking. At least if they don't fall for it, you still walk away with your guitar. Then put it on eBay.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I find trying to take it to stores is a waste of time. They usually offer you like 35-40% of the original value even if its in such immaculate condition that they could pass it as new.
      Also I always get the line "well you gotta consider we have to resell this and try to get a profit ontop of what we pay you"

It comes down to demand and if its a popular model that will move.
      Selling a import is gonna be tough cuz there are tons flooding the market already and they arent really in much demand.
      I got one myself I will have to try and sell soon.

I guess Ebay is still probably your best bet.

I just try to be careful about buying gear these days and think" ok is this gonna be a keeper ? or am I gonna be losing alot of $ if I get tired of it and try to resell it."

Most stores also dont carry any high end guitars (in my experiences) anyways so you end up having to buy online.
      Last edited by Mikernaut2; 09-20-2006, 01:21 PM.

Comment

A shop will only payup if they want it. Otherwise, you will get reamed. E-Bay will tell you what your guitar is "worth" if you take great pictures and lots of them. Describe it well. Time the auction to end when the most people will be online. My pawnshop lists stuff on E-Bay. But the great thing is that if they can't find a comp on the Bay, they have no idea how to price it. That's why I got 2 1983 Kramer Specials for$150 a pop.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

one local retailer insists on putting 30% on top of my asking price. greedy fuckers. like that's gonna sell soon?!
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

It has been my experience when you sell to a used gear store you will get slightly less than 1/2 of what it sold new for that is if it is in perfect condition and has the OHSC.
            The trick is to buy a used high end piece that is in demand.Such as most any Gibson or Fender USA guitar and flip or trade it for a used Jackson or Charvel,Dean USA.
            Most dealers don't see Jacksons as great guitars for profit.Thats good for us because we know they kick ass.
            Case in point I traded for a 87 Gibson L.P.junior that had a headstock repair and traded it for a mint Carvin TL 60 with several upgrades which make it a great trading fodder.I have a deal cooking on a 85 USA SD Jackson soloist at an even swap.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
              A shop will only payup if they want it. Otherwise, you will get reamed. E-Bay will tell you what your guitar is "worth" if you take great pictures and lots of them. Describe it well. Time the auction to end when the most people will be online. My pawnshop lists stuff on E-Bay. But the great thing is that if they can't find a comp on the Bay, they have no idea how to price it. That's why I got 2 1983 Kramer Specials for$150 a pop.
              +1. Lay out all the particulars - good AND bad. People are more likely to bid on it if they feel you are telling the whole story.
              Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                Very good advice there from fett. eBay will tell you the real world value of the guitar you're selling.

Comment

Working...
                X