Newbie alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie alert

Eager to get on the Jacko wagon but need help, for starters I am in the UK, but like the crazy finishes. Where would the best place to look and which models do you guys recommend.

To give you some background, I have a few Ibanez Jems including PMC and SK. So the dayglo, bengal and illuminous stuff appeals alot. I also like the reverse headstocks and maple fretboards.

So please help a newbie.. all suggestions much appreciated.

Welcome to the board mr. "Bloodandtear"

Are you looking for places here in the US to get a refin or in the UK?

As for a model recommendation, that depends on pocket book and personal prefences. Neck-thru...bold-on...hardtail...floyd... the list goes on.

You can always use the JCF search engine to help you along.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Welcome B'n'T!

For buying Jackson guitars new in Europe, I think www.thomann.de have pretty good prices, but a rather narrow selection of models (they mostly sell imports).

If you're interested in ordering an unusual model, it is often cheaper to buy from the US directly, rather than ask a local shop to take one home. The american dealers have to put a Minimum Advertised Price in their price lists, but you may get a better price if you e-mail them for a price quote (whereas most European shops will typically not budge an inch on the list price). Do check out the JCF dealers and hear what they can offer you (there's a link at the top of this page).

For used guitars, I think evilBay would probably be your best source.

I think the finishes you list aren't available on the import models(?). The USA Select series have much more finish options. They also cost a lot more than the imports, since they're a notch above them in terms of quality and features.

There's currently just one available model with a maple fretboard: The DK2M. If you check out the "Import Jackson" subforum, you should be able to find a few threads reviewing this guitar - it is very popular.

It's hard to recommend anything when we don't know exactly what you're after in terms of quality, features and pricing. But I would recommend you to stay clear of the JS-series, as they are entry level guitars. Out of the import lines, the Artist Signature series and the Pro series are those of the highest quality. The MG series is just a notch below the Pro series, as they don't have a hardened steel vibrato bridge.

Comment

pj guitars in portsmouth does usa's. i've heard good things.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I'd recommend getting a guitar from the states instead of trying to find one in the UK. If you go to the US market you'll have a much wider selection and better prices. However you'll have to pay shipping and customs on what you import from abroad.
          As for cool finishes most are only on the higher up models but there are some graphics you might like on some of the lower end models too. Have a look at the jackson website and shops like musiciansfriend.com to see some of these.
          There is a good chance that there will be more models with maple necks in the next year or two as the DK2m has been veruy popular and many people seem to be wanting more models with them.

Comment

Working...
          X