Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups, what to use?

Hey guys,

I have a japanese charvel and I dont like the sound of the stock Jackson pickups. I have a J-50 at the bridge and it is not agressive enough I think.

I love Vitto Bratta's tone and harmonics!... I also like Andy Timmons!. Megadeth os also cool...

I am guessing EMG 81???.... what shoul I use for the singles?... they are pretty week right now.

Re: Pickups, what to use?

Andy Timmons uses Dimarzios (you should be able to find out which ones in the Artists section on the Dimarzio website), and the Megadeth guys used Seymour Duncan. I can't remember what Vito used, but I remember him using ESP & Steinberger guitars.

[ March 12, 2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: chris_olson ]

Comment

start with a duncan jb....imo, you should be able to get the sounds you're lookin for with it. plenty of harmonics to bad he with one of them.

sully

[ March 12, 2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I think Vito used a Duncan Full Shred. As for the differance between the J50 and the JB. The JB is sweeter warmer and hotter. The J50 is brighter so it has a stronger attack.
        At least to my ears.
        Gil

Comment

Sully, I know what you mean. However I also would like to have a lot of distortion available if I need it... I will probably end up trying both.

How about one of those screaming daemons or the distortion trembucker?... do they just not have enough body?

Comment

well, mustaine uses JBs...they're high output pickups, and have a pretty sensitive harmonic response. they'll make a good guitar sound great. the screamin demon isn't high gain, but the distortion is my other favorite. the jb has an overall fuller sound, tho.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah - I'm with Sully on that one. The JB is a great rock pickup - plenty ooomph!! for high gain stuff too without getting really muddy. The Screamin Demon has got to be one of THE MOST misunderstood pickups ever. It's not an over-the-top pickup as the name would imply. That and the Full Shred - they screw everyone up.

If you're lookinf to get really over the top, consider the Duncan Invader - although I personally cannot stand that pickup.

Comment

I would go with Seymour duncan JB's. i have one in my kelly and its pretty damn nice.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_olson:
                  Yeah - I'm with Sully on that one. The JB is a great rock pickup - plenty ooomph!! for high gain stuff too without getting really muddy. The Screamin Demon has got to be one of THE MOST misunderstood pickups ever. It's not an over-the-top pickup as the name would imply. That and the Full Shred - they screw everyone up.

If you're lookinf to get really over the top, consider the Duncan Invader - although I personally cannot stand that pickup.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Same for the DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell. Although, I knew what I was buying when I bought it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Is there really a big difference between the J-50 and the SH-4?

Comment

Working...
                    X