ID this guitar -- HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID this guitar -- HELP

I've found a picture of an older(?) Jackson. I have no idea what the model is or the year it was made or it's value (assuming everything's intact).

Anyone have a better description of what the graphic is? Or a link?

If everything is copasetic, what would you pay for this guitar?

Can someone help me out?

It's been noted that it appears to be a Dinky but there only seems to be one humbucker and one single coil pickup.

Thanx

Deaner

The Dinky is not so much a model as it is the body style of the model. Meaning any 7/8-size strat-style bolt-on Jackson is considered a "Dinky".

This particular one appears to be a Custom Shop, given the pickup layout and graphic.

More pics are needed of course, it may not even be a real Jackson.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I believe the graphic was known as "Stamp Collection" and the guitar came stock with specially wound Duncans - an Old Fogey in the neck and a Dried Glue Smell bucker in bridge. Given the fact that you can't actually use the stamps featured in the graphic - I'd pay no more than a c-note or maybe a yard-50.

:p
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Looks like it says "professional" after the "Jackson" on the headstock. Parts mutt with an ugly graphic.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Knowledge is Power

Thanks for the info. I'll be checking this out on Saturday and will hopefully be able to provide more pics.

Since I'm not really sure what I should be looking for, is there anything that I should be looking for? or NOT looking for?

And finally, should I dare ask what, "an Old Fogey in the neck and a Dried Glue Smell bucker in bridge" is in reference to?

peace

Deaner

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
            Looks like it says "professional" after the "Jackson" on the headstock. Parts mutt with an ugly graphic.
            I think that's the string sticking out beyond the last tuner - there's no variation to the line to indicate letters. And I don't think there were any rev-head Professionals with rosewood AND fins. I know they had 'em on dotted necks (the Fleckstone Dinky).

Then again, there was the RR3R, but that board looks like ebony. If it was rosewood, it'd stick out more alongside the dark case liner.

As for what you should look for:
            • The neck plate should have a 4 digit number to be a USA model
            • The control cavity route should be either the "San Dimas" shape or the "Ontario" shape (Search for those here, or look at a current SL-1 and WR-1 or Charvel model)
            • The headstock should have Made In U.S.A. near the edge of the head under the logo
            • If there is the word "Professional" after the Jackson logo, the neck came off another model.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              I believe the graphic was known as "Stamp Collection" and the guitar came stock with specially wound Duncans - an Old Fogey in the neck and a Dried Glue Smell bucker in bridge. Given the fact that you can't actually use the stamps featured in the graphic - I'd pay no more than a c-note or maybe a yard-50.

:p
              I bet you can play all kinds of crazy licks with those stamp guitars.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                And I don't think there were any rev-head Professionals with rosewood AND fins.
                Yes, there were. I had a Professional Dinky Reverse in Candy Apple Green with sharkfins... they might have even been reverse sharkfins, I can't recall at the moment. I sold the guitar to Word a few years ago. The back of the neck had some really crazy amazing flame on it, too. I kinda miss that guitar.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                  I bet you can play all kinds of crazy licks with those stamp guitars.

:ROTF:

Comment

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but couldn't this closed eBay item (item 290038708072) be the same guitar as the one I've posted (only without the stamp collection graphic?). My untrained eye sees virtually the same body shape, "professional" signature and pickup config.

And if this eBay 91 Phil Collen Archtop Professional sold for $1725 with the "professional" moniker, why, according to MM2002 is the one above a "Parts mutt with an ugly graphic"?

Are there some years that are more coveted than others? And is there an easy way to determine the year from the serial number?

Thanks again

Deaner

Comment

First those phil collin guitars are RARE and its neck thru. you are looking at a bolt on dinky . Japanese Professionals didn't come with graffics like that so its either a us body and a Japanese neck ( making it a mutt) or a custom paintjob. If its a parts mutt you can't be sure of the year of all the parts.

Comment

Deaner: Take the neck off and check for markings in the neck pocket and on the neck heel. It may give you more clues to the origin and production year of both the body and the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaner View Post
                          And if this eBay 91 Phil Collen Archtop Professional sold for $1725 with the "professional" moniker, why, according to MM2002 is the one above a "Parts mutt with an ugly graphic"?
                          That Collen went for stupid money. The buyer must have REALLY wanted it or it was a shill and we'll see it up again later.
                          But as Rich stated, Collen archtops are rare.

Dinky's are everywhere!

If that's truely a USA Dinky, $700 - $900 tops.
                          Considerably less if it's not all original.
                          Last edited by rjohnstone; 10-19-2006, 04:02 PM.
                          -Rick

Comment

Thanks all. 27 hours should help provide more insight. I'll see what I can do for pics and post them.

l8r
                            Deaner

Comment

:ROTF: sorta looks like the Classmates.com Mutt to me...

Comment

Working...
                              X