Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you play the blues on a pointy guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the original question: Sure you can if it has a Floyd.

Comment

It's harder to do. Metal guitars are made for high gain, they pick everything up. When I play SRV on my Jackson, I don't even bother with some of the open notes because I know that it'll pickup a whole lot of other stuff by the time I get there and back. I could play the same song on my Tele with single coils and I can play it a lot cleaner. That being said, I think S. Duncans can definitely do the job for blues.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
        The Crossroads scene obviously shows that the Fender crushes the Pointy. Even in harmonic minor. The dude with the long hair even drops his Pointy trying!
        Dude with the long hair!?

Do you know who you're talking about...man, that's Steve Vai !!!
        ...and btw, he actually played the telecaster parts also...

Comment

OKAY FOLKS! LISTEN UP! IT'S ME... HENRIK ALSO KNOWN AS JACKSON1.

THE POST I MADE UP THERE WAS A JOKE.

I KNOW WHO THE GUY WITH THE LONG HAIR IS! IT'S STEVE VAI!

I KNOW YOU CAN PLAY THE BLUES ON A POINTY.

I'VE BEEN HERE FOR OVER 3 YEARS, I HAVE ALMOST 3000 POSTS AND I HAPPEN TO KNOW STUFF!

Thanks for your cooperation and sorry that you're not familiar with me
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by catsize View Post
            As much as I like the Jackson guitar, I worry that it might not fit in with the "aesthetic" of the blues gig.

What do you guys think? Can you play the blues on a pointy guitar?
            You should be worried - I seriously think "blues snobs" would get bummed out by a Jackson, but forget them, you never see hot chicks in blues videos do you???

As far as the actual sound goes, no problem, I mean it's not going to sound like a tele, but what does?

Comment

The Blues ain't in the guitar, it's in the player.

Comment

If you're not retarded, you can play any style of music on any guitar.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by jam-man View Post
                  Do you know who you're talking about...man, that's Steve Vai !!!
                  ...and btw, he actually played the telecaster parts also...
                  No, Ry Cooder played the Tele parts.

Comment

You never see gorgeous babes in a blues *video*?

Believe, you don't see any gorgeous babes at blues *clubs,* either, if the place I play every Wedesday is any indication...

Just a bunch of desperate, middle-aged, never married or recently divorced (or, in one case that I know of, cheating) sluts (sorry for the indelicate phrasing, but there's really no other way to put it), who are either drunk, stupid, or clinically insane.

If I didn't get paid to be there, you couldn't drag me within a hundred yards of this place, especially on "blues night."

The place is a rank hole in the wall, in a major urban center, and attracts lowlifes the likes of which I had only previously seen in movies.

I mean, this place is *bad*! And, I've played CBGB's!!!
                    "They put Jesus on a cross, they put a hole in JFK
                    "They put Hitler in the driver's seat and looked the other way
                    "They got poison in the water and the whole world's in a trance
                    "But, just because we're hypnotized, that don't mean we can't dance!"

- Tonio K.

Comment

Originally posted by catsize View Post
                      Just a bunch of desperate, middle-aged, never married or recently divorced (or, in one case that I know of, cheating) sluts (sorry for the indelicate phrasing, but there's really no other way to put it), who are either drunk, stupid, or clinically insane.
                      You know my ex-wife?!? :ROTF: I see you're in New Jersey. So am I... Sayreville.

Comment

Hey, toejam -

I'm up north, in Morris County. But, I spent the 80's in Highland Park and used to play Modern Times in Sayreville every Wednesday with a group called Flossie (the band was out of Freehold). This was back when Bon Jovi was playing on Thursday nights and Jon's current wife was a barmaid there.

I'll be down your way next month to see the Pretenders at the former Modern Times. I think it's called the Starland Ballroom or some such thing now?

Good to know there are other Jersey boys on the forum. Let's face it, NJ is the physical and metaphysical center of the universe!

- Tonio K.

Comment

Cool. The Starland Ballroom is like 5 minutes or so from my house. I've only been there twice, which is sad since it's real close to me. It used to be a stupid dance club called Hunka Bunka (was it Modern Times before that?) I'm 34 and grew up in South Amboy which is the next town over. Most of the old bands that used to go to Birch Hill now go to Starland since it closed down.

Comment

While certain guitar shapes are associated with certain genres, it's not really a "must." Iron Maiden play strats, but who really thinks of strats when they think metal? Also, Marty Friedman used a strat for the train of consequences solo.

Comment

The Starland was Modern Times probably three or four name changes ago. I played there in '81, '82, and up through about '84.

And, I also played all of Joey Harrison's places - the Birch Hill, the Surf Club in Seaside - and remember very well what a nightmare those gigs were. (Low pay for filling huge rooms and very strict setup/breakdown rules.)

If you can make it out to the Pretenders show, let me know. I'm going with a small group -- Maybe we can hook up. (There are still tickets available, as far as I know.)

- Tonio K.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post

I'VE BEEN HERE FOR OVER 3 YEARS, I HAVE ALMOST 3000 POSTS AND I HAPPEN TO KNOW STUFF!

Thanks for your cooperation and sorry that you're not familiar with me
                                I'm not convinced. Try a bigger font!

j/k
                                -------------------------
                                Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                                X