Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you play the blues on a pointy guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catsize View Post
    Rhoads and Kelly guitars, not to mention pretty everything made by BC Rich are truly "pointy guitars."
    Not everything built by BC Rich was in fact pointy.
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Almost everything BC Rich made had at least one point on the body, including the Eagle and Mockingbird.

The ST-3 was the only one that didn't.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
        I'VE BEEN HERE FOR OVER 3 YEARS, I HAVE ALMOST 3000 POSTS AND I HAPPEN TO KNOW STUFF!

Thanks for your cooperation and sorry that you're not familiar with me
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I would consider a ST3 a 'pointy'.. its just not a 'hockey stick'

Comment

So stereotypes exist even in guitar choices....

I would say yes. After all, guitars are designed to play music, not just certain styles of music. But I also know certain guitars are associated with certain types of music. The only guitars I know of that are "universal" would be the Strat and the Les Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              The ST-3 was the only one that didn't.
              Meegs, Innovator, Pointless Seagull, Assassin, Outlaw, ST, Bernardo, Robert Conte, Exclusive, I could go on...there's a HEAP of guitars that BCR produced that were not "pointy".
              The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

The Blues ain't in the guitar, it's in the player.

welcome newbie who speaks with a wise tounge
                "tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly"

Comment

Well certain types of guitars do certain types of sounds better!
                  Like driving with a hummer and try to beat a Porsche on a German High-way!You still can drive fast and make people scary who drive with you ,but the Porsche will ripp you of anyways!
                  But i think a Flying V is a totally different pointy guitar than the King V.Differnt wood ,neck ,fretts ,headstock(wich has a ton of influences over the ton ,on a neck-thru more).The attack ,the resonance ,the range of tone.Everything plays a role.
                  And the PU's play a big role too.Try to play blues with Seymour Duncan Live Wires Heavy Metal!You can't!
                  But you can do it with a CustomShop Brobucker ,Aph-1 very well.The Dinky is not neccesarily a heavy metal isntrument.It's damn good for it.But i think it is a good allrounder!That's why top 40 bands uses mostly super strat style guitars!
                  www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    I think Henrik's sense of humour totally flew over yours, bro

I absolutely agree. A Dinky or a Soloist is only pointy at one end. Folks might notice they look a little sleeker than your average blues jammin axe, but they aren't so different. Now, if you turned up with a Warrior......
                    well what if u got the pilo o skulls graphic?

i got a pile o skulls dk2 and blues sounds awesome on these single coils... but its just weird playing blues with a guitar that has skulls on it =/
                    If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Wow...very informative thread here. At first I almost thought it was one of mine.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        If you're not retarded, you can play any style of music on any guitar.
                        how unfortunate for you
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I played in a blues-rock band in the 90's with a guy who was a SRV/Indigenous type style...guy was a killer blues player.. all he played were BCRich ST3's thru Ampegs V4's.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
                            Possibly. But it didn't appear that way. However, I'm sure we can all agree that Ralph Macchio is a serious kick ass guitar player! Even if he did have the advantage over Vai of using a tele to play the blues.
                            yeah, he beat Vai! He's the man!
                            I guitar, therefore, I am a Guitarer

http://iguitarer.blogspot.com

Comment

I used to play in a blues band 10 years ago with my Rhoads (Lightning Graphic) and it sounded fantastic. A few years ago....don't laugh but I was in a Status Quo tribute band but I refused to use a Fender Tele and went out and bought a Charvel Legend with a nice reverse pointy headstock.....a far nicer guitar than any Fender in my opinion.
                              Don't worry about what brand your guitar is, if it suits you then that's all that matters.

Comment

Exactly. Its liek people saying you cant play metal on a Strat. If you like metal and play it on a Strat more power to ya. Same for playing blues on an Explorer or Rhoads. Whatever floats your boat. Hell I play more blues on my Jackson than I play on my Tele

Comment

Working...
                                X