What is GAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is GAS

I know it has something to do with buying too much stuff.

Does it mean Guitar Acquiring Syndrome or something like that? Or is specific to Jackson/Charvel equipment only?

It can be "guitar" or "gear" acquisition syndrome. Just like dragons hoard gold, musicians have a tendancy to hoard gear. Some guys are one sided - 30 guitars, 1 amp and a couple of pedals. Others are well rounded, 10 guitars, 10 amps and a Bob Bradshaw switching system. Then there's the rotaters - they always have the same number of a guitars/amps/etc, but they never have one peice for more than a month or so. The most sick and depraved of all are the spare part hoarders - they not repairmen, so they don't need a drawer full of pickups, pots, necks and bridges, but they have them anyway.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Very clear now. My old lady won't let me do that kind of thing or I would have a top of the line guitar from every manufacturer.

I should probably just get rid of her. J/k.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon View Post
        Very clear now. My old lady won't let me do that kind of thing or I would have a top of the line guitar from every manufacturer.

I should probably just get rid of her. J/k.
        It would be for the best

Comment

Studies have shown between 26 and 28 percent of all divorces are based, at least in part, on G.A.S.-related issues. It's best if spouses just accept this heart-breaking affliction until a suitable treatment is found.
          No, I'm not a doctor or lawyer, but I have pretended to be both on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            Some guys are one sided - 30 guitars, 1 amp and a couple of pedals.
            *cough* I dunno what your talking about!
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Then there's the rotaters - they always have the same number of a guitars/amps/etc, but they never have one peice for more than a month or so.
              Oh yeah.. You really got me now!

Poor student that I am doesn't prevent me trading and exchanging gear like crazy.. Restless and wild!
              "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

I'm a slow rotator. I'll have gear for a year or so and then swap it out.
                Scott

Comment

man i'm a rotator too...i feel so dirty!!! For SHaaaaaaaaaame!!

Comment

I was G.A.S. free for about 5 years. In the last few months I've rotated several guitars and have doubled my pedal collection... All happened about the time I started jonesin' for my first Jackson
                    Guitars:
                    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                    Amp:
                    VOX AD30VT

Comment

at the mo, i have 1 guitar, 1 fx processor, 1 multitrack/mixer, 1 home keyboard, 1 condensor mic and that's it - just the essentials, minus a decent pair of pro speakers. i did a helluva lot of part-exing guitars and i'm not prepared to waste any more money. i've also learned the penalty for not being responsible, not living within my means or planning finances in advance. money makes you do stupid things. then it's a fight for survival.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

well, call me one sided and spank me like a monkey! I'm a one amp kinda guy. Really only because I can buy 4 guitars for the price of a decent amp. So I don't really even have a decent amp
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Sometimes I feel strange about playing my KV2 through a 40w Peavey 1x10".

But then I realize I owe no explanation to anyone. LOL

Comment

The most sick and depraved of all are the spare part hoarders - they not repairmen, so they don't need a drawer full of pickups, pots, necks and bridges, but they have them anyway.
                            Need, want, it's all in the head

Repairmen aren't the only ones who need tons of spare parts. Where would a mad scientist be without tons of parts to tinker with?
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              Need, want, it's all in the head

Repairmen aren't the only ones who need tons of spare parts. Where would a mad scientist be without tons of parts to tinker with?
                              Right on NEWC!!!!! Tinkerring rules!!!!

As for GAS......it comes from beans! The more beans you have to spend, the more gas you get!!!!!!
                              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Working...
                              X