Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howabout ANOTHER custom Rhoads? Future RRMG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howabout ANOTHER custom Rhoads? Future RRMG?

Ah yes, another one down.

Just finished this one up about an hour ago!

Specs:
    -RX10D Cobalt Blue Swirl body
    -DKMG reverse headstock neck, cut to 22 frets, finish removed and tung oiled
    -EMG 81/85 (I like the 81 in the bridge so bite me )
    -2006 JT580LP (thanks rjohnstone!)

The neck came from my DKMG... the back of it needed to be refinished, and Ive got a brand new DKMG neck sitting in a box, so I figured the old one would be great for this project. Ive never had an oiled neck so I figured Id give it a shot and see how I liked it... so far so good!

This time, I only took .7" off of the heel as opposed to the .75" off of the last project you all remember. I did this so it fit the pocket even better, and I could compensate for the .05" with the bridge intonation. As you can see, the heel fits the pocket great, and intonation is purrrrfect! I took alot of time to fine tune the little details... smoothed out the binding edges, finished the back of the neck up to 2000 grit before oiling... and it really paid off, the guitar basically plays itself and the pinch harmonics are insane! I picked up the body on ebay, but when it got here there was a small ding next to the bridge from shipping. Everything on the guitar (aside from the bridge) are parts I had laying around... instead of selling off parts, I figured why not build another one?

The batterys are attached to the cover via double sided tape... figured this was a great way to save space in the cavity, and get the 18volts that I wanted. Keeps the wiring nice and neat, just how I like it.

Now on to the pics! Let me know what ya think!

Last edited by RobRR; 10-28-2006, 02:58 PM.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Oh and this time, I fully docuemented the process of modding the neck, Ill have a tech article up shortly!
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Very cool. Not sure if I like reverse headstocks on RRs too much, but the cobalt swirl and "baby sharkfins" suit very well. Good job dude.

Comment

Very cool indeed! But the fretboard really needs ebonizing . Maybe you could try that steel wool & vinegar trick? Btw, aren't necks on DKMG (and other imports) oiled originally?

And make some outdoor shots of it without flash! That's the key to making good guitar pics.
        Last edited by Nazgul; 10-28-2006, 03:04 PM.

Comment

The necks are not oiled they just have a satin finish instead of gloss

Comment

I was expecting something from the custom shop generator, but this is much better. Cool project!

Comment

That looks great overall bro but sorry, that finish makes the guitar look like somebody shit all over it
              Check my bands!
              www.myspace.com/magicktr
              www.myspace.com/sinif64
              www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                Oh and this time, I fully docuemented the process of modding the neck, Ill have a tech article up shortly!
                Wohoo! I hope for large sharp pics!

Awesome job you did with this one. I love rear loaded Rhoads' and the trick you do cutting down the neck is just.. genious.
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
                  That looks great overall bro but sorry, that finish makes the guitar look like somebody shit all over it
                  Yeah I actually wasnt all that impressed with the finish either when I got the body... but eh what are ya gonna do?

Comment

It`s fantastic...love the colour...The inlays are not really my type but
                    if you like it...
                    But the color is amazing I love it...
                    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I like the overall look of it. Really cool. I have to agree though that fretboard would look way better if it was ebony. Without the large sharkfin inlays the colour of the fretboard really shows. Thats the only thing about it. Cool guitar.

Also 100 posts! Woohoo

Comment

ok, stupid question time: i thought you only needed 1 battery for an 81/85 set. is that a series or parallel wire-up? advantages?
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

They are wired in series for a total of 18 volts. Its not needed, however the 18 volts give the pickups a bit more output and bite. You can also wire two batterys in parallel and get double the battery life.

Comment

Ok, I take back everything I ever said about the neck not looking right from the rear....that looks good! Nice job!
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

That looks great.
                              The pirahna fins look killer!
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X