HOW!!!!!!!!!???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOW!!!!!!!!!???

I work 7 days a week for at least 12 hours a day (I'm a small business owner.) I watch my children instead of paying for day care (pays off in many ways, not just monetarily.) My wife works (for health benefits, the cash is "fun money.")

I have been recirculating the same $3-4000 buying and selling gear. Sometimes I'll find a good deal at local stores or pawn shops and I'll make a little selling this stuff. A little bit of debt at first, but I am even now.

I've also found a great way to cure GAS. DON'T BUY MINT GEAR. It's harder to get rid of if you try to sell it, and after waiting for several weeks to sell it I come to realize that I never wanted to sell it in the first place. Also, buy obscure stuff that nooone else wants and you'll have a hard time selling it as well. That's not to say that I don't have a few mint pieces, but most of my stuff is used.

Comment

as everyone else...I went to college and worked my ass off. I have 9 guitars and don't spend a lot on them. I'd have a hell of a lot more if I didn't have 2 kids, 2 car payments, a stay at home wife and a mortgage [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I don't spend money on anything else for myself other than my music, my family is my priority, I come last in line and I wouldn't have any other way. Guitars don't even come in a close second to the fun my kids bring me
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Well said Shawn [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mama Riotwatch

Comment

A great job and not too much debt really helps feed the addiction for guitars, amps, cars, bikes & lots of go fast goodies!

Comment

Navy + College + Good Career Choice + Hard Work at a generous (privately held - thank God) company for 11 Years + A Great Wife who is sympathetic to my wants/needs = G.A.S.

For those who are younger and just starting out: Don't be intimidated by what people buy here and try to keep up or feel left out - your time will come. Don't rush it and get bogged down in debt, etc. Make wise choices. The quickest way is not always the best way.
            Can somebody tell me when I turned into my Father?

Comment

Like many have said, hard work and keeping focused will payoff in the long run. Don't worry about having several guitars right away...they will come. I have made a few bucks buying and then selling for profit. (No, I'm not a dealer...and I'm not even that good of a player!!

Now, don't misinterpret me here...I'm not bragging to make myself sound cool. But I am in radio. I have not bought a cd in over ten years. I have not paid to see a 'national act' in a long time. The money saved on those 2 things alone has allowed me to feed my G.A.S. ( Just ask Genebay...he'll tell ya how bad it's been for me!)

Plus, we get paid some pretty ridiculous money to do remote broadcasts. I did a 3 hour live gig every 2 weeks at Hooters for a year and a half. $300 every time I was there, and I would have had to be on the air anyway. Cha-Ching, baby! BTW, I DO NOT make the big radio bux like Stern, Mancow, or Rick dees...I'm sure many of you make way better coin than my base salary. But the perks and extra 'remote'income are how I've managed to acquire my stuff.

Not that anyone cares, but the station is online at: www.thedamstation.com - I'm the one called Skinman (3-7p M-F) [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

[ March 16, 2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: surfdork ]

Comment

I was very fortunate in that a friend from my high school days called me out of the blue and asked me if I was interested in a new job. That was six years ago, and although the slow economy meant a wage freeze, I'm making enough to pay the bills, chip away at old college debts, and pick up some new gear every now and then. Like a lot of other folks here, I've also found some great deals on gear that wasn't "cool" to most of the guitar-buying crowd. Other than spending around $1400 for a new KV2 a year ago, I've never spent more than $600 for a piece of gear, and that's including brand new USA Jacksons. Sometimes it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

There is also a lot to be said for being smart with your money, and spending it on the things that matter most. I don't spend a lot on clothes, I've had the same stereo and TV for several years, and within a year of being old enough to drink, I was tired of going to the bar. Other than taking my girlfriend out a couple nights each week or recent recording with my band, I'm pretty happy just chilling out at home.
                sigpic

Comment

I've wanted a Rhoads since I was 14 or so....after saving up, working, saving some more, I finally got mine last summer, two days before my 18th birthday. In my case, persistence was the key, as well as "keeping my eyes on the prize"...

Comment

I work hard for a living. (no I'm not a male prostitute) My expenses are somewhat low, besides rent, beer and the 'L' are my major bills. (the 'L' is the slang term for the Elevated Train here in Chicago) If you notice, I actually buy more guitars in the beginning of the year when tax returns and company bonuses kick in...
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

I havn't bought clothes, food or anything else not needed for about a year and a half. Interesting, i started playing guitar a year and a half ago [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X