Duncan for Jackson Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan for Jackson Soloist

I have a Newer Jackson USA Soloist that has a Duncan JB in the bridge. This pickup sounds kind of muddy to me. I like passive pickups overall.
    I'm thinking of putting in a Duncan Custom Custom.
    Anyone else have any experience with these? Or advice.....Thanks....

What style of music are you going to play? And try to describe the tone you like. If you only like it to be clear and tight I guess lots of people will suggest the duncan tb-5 custom. Custom custom is also a nice pup though
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I think a custom custom could be considered even more "muddy" than the jb, even though i have not used it myself.
      The tb-5 custom is very good though, and i really like the dimarzio evolution as well.

Comment

I'll be replacing the JB in my Soloist with a Blues Saraceno trembucker this weekend. I'll report back with the results...
        "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Try either a Duncan Distortion or a Dimarzio Super Dist., I have used both and really like them the best. Like you said, one of my guitars used to have a JB in it and I didn't like the tone either, a little muddy and also not as much output as I wanted. That is....depending on the sound you are looking for. For me it's old school metal, late 70's, 80's etc.

Right now I have a Duncan Dist. in my RR3 and it cranks. I'm also going to put a Dimarzio Super Dist. in a Charvel 375 I have, I can't wait. Just waiting for the custom pickup ring I ordered from a fellow JCF'er.

Hope this helps!
          Guitars:
          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
          1988 Model 2,
          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
          RR3
          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
          2005 SG Special

Comment

I replaced a Duncan Custom in my Soloist Pro with a Full Shred, and it was a vast improvement. No mud at all, and although the FS doesn't have as much low end, it is just a tighter-sounding pickup, so what low end it does have is percussive and great for metal...if you're playing metal.
            sigpic

Comment

Full Shred is the tightest SD Pu for high-gain use.But it lacks on Bass and it's better for dark sounding guitars .
              The Custom is a good choice for a Jackson Neck-Thru.But remeber ,it will "not" sing ,and scream like a Distortion or JB.
              if you have a PU booster go with a '59 or Pearly gates.'59 is tight as hell!
              And not to forget Scream Demon!Great PU with perfect articulation.!
              www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

Comment

Yeah, we need some pointers as to what you´re looking for more specifically. If all you´re looking for is a tighter low-end, without any other factors specified, there are a gazillion options ranging from A to Z.

But I´m guessing the mud you hear is loose low-end and strong mids... so, focused bass with a bit of scoop should do the trick. I´m thinking the DiMarzio MegaDrive... I don´t use mine that much, but it´s pretty clear and clean on the rare occasions I need "metal" tones.

+1 on the Screamin´Demon also. It´s very precise.

Comment

The guitar is a neck thru and I play old school metal and hard rock. I guess I'd say there is a certain openness and clarity missing. I'm using a Budda SD II 80 with my humbucking guitars and an Orange Rocker with my Strats. When I plug in my YJM Strat or Les Paul the tone is much better with a crisper high end and tighter low end. They don't drive very hard though nor do I want those guitars to do that.....that's what the Soloist is for! The JB has a good amount of sustain and drive but sounds "muddy" I think in the low mids. I need the guitar of have a touch of sparkle with chunky ballsy low-end and articulate mids!

Comment

Another vote for the Full Shred - it is NOT, however, a suer high gain pickup as it's name might suggest. I would call it a mid-high, but certainly not in the league of the JB, Distortion, or Custom. It's a very good sounding pickup however, and has terrific clarity.

Comment

Thanks Guys! The Full Shred was the ticket! Nice open but powerful sound, great articulation and clarity.

Comment

I placed a Seymour Duncan Livewire Metal. Its sounds killer.
                        www.myspace.com/dawnofretaliation
                        Norwegian death metal

Comment

The full shred is a great pup. I just put one in my 275 and it warmed it up quite a bit from the J90C that was in it. Much smoother and still has the clearity and tone. Altho i was gonna suggest try lowering the JB away from the strings a bit first. Sometimes if a pickup is too close to the strings it gets boomy and muddy, losing articulation. But since you already swapped it for the Full Shred. I iwont bother mentioning it.
                          Gil

Comment

Working...
                          X