Original PUPS in a 1990 USA Fusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original PUPS in a 1990 USA Fusion?

What would the original PUPS have been in a 1990 USA Fusion. I am trying to restore the Guitar to it's original PUP configuration. I thought that it was J-50BC + J200 + J200, so I bought all three on on E-Bay. Now I just got a call from the guitar shop that is installing the PUPs and they say that the Bridge PUP cavity is "WAY TOO SMALL" for the J-50BC. I really don't get it because the PUP that is in there now is a full size Duncan JB humbucker! Is the J-50BC that much larger than the JB? What is supposed to go in there? I am supposing it would be either a J-80, J-85, or J-90. If I can't find an original PUP to go in there, what else would fit. Of the available options of original Jackson PUPS that would fit, which would be the lowest output? I really like output of classic HB's more than the super high gain ones. HELP!!!

Thanks
    Rick

Re: Original PUPS in a 1990 USA Fusion?

J200 * J200 * J85 + JE1500 Preamp.

Good luck, those are really nice guitars. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I forgot to mention J-95 too. Which of the options mentioned (J-80, J-85, J-90, J-95) would fit in the bridge position of a USA Fusion and what is the relative output of each? Finally, would this guitar originally have had a mounting ring for the bridge HB? There is one in there now for the Duncan JB. Perhaps this is causing a problem?

Rick

Comment

The one that i posted is the original configuration of the guitar, and yes, they did have mounting rings. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

As for the output, i can't help you there, sorry. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
        Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Kuerbo:

Thanks for the reply! Just in case I cannot find a J-85 in good shape, does anybody know if any of the other Jackson HB PUPs from that period (J-80, J-90, J-95) would fit? Any assessments on the output and tone of each of the them, including the J-85?

Comment

By the way,

The JE-1500 pre-amp is still in the guitar, plus I got a JE-1200 included with the J-50BC, J-200, J-200 set I bought on E-Bay. It is too bad that the J-50BC does not fit in the cavity. I used to have a Charvel Model 6 with a J-50BC + J-200 + J-200 combo plus the J-1200 mid boost and I really liked the tonal variations I could get. I guess the JE-1200 would be useless with the J-85, because it is already a high output PUP with lots of mids, so it probably would not sound very good to boost the mids even further with the JE-1200.

Comment

Ricey: That information provided above is INCORRECT. The USA Fusions came with the J200's and one J-50BC humbucker. It's possible that what you bought was one of the older style J-50's with the larger cover. For some time, Jackson was using oversized covers and oversized mounting rings for the humbuckers. The pickup itself is actually the same size as anyother, but the cover. You can remove the cover, it's just glued on. In fact, all of the Jackson made humbuckers are the same size.

Kuerbo: Keep in mind that the MOAI was flawed in many areas with minor details incorrectly listed.
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Great info,

Thanks for the clarification Joe, it's always good to learn something new or to find out one was wrong. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

BTW, i just love the Fusion. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Working...
                X