RIP Randy Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIP Randy Rhoads

I saw the band Quiet Riot live about a week ago here in Orlando...they paid tribute to him by playing one of the songs he wrote while he was in that band. For those of you who don't know Randy was the founding father of Quiet Riot. Even though i never got to see him play live, it was nice to see something that he created and loved, ya know? Well anyways...RIP Randy [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I went on vacation to Philly last week and in the hard rock cafe there they have his Black V.(the FIRST Jackson!)
      I stood there for a good 20 min or so just in awe..I never realized how much he had affected me as a guitar player.
      I have a pic of it...I will have it posted soon.

RIP Randy

Comment

Drake wrote:
        I count myself fortunate to have seen Randy play live once, it's the reason I picked up the same piece of wood as alot of us have
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am a bit older than some of you. Alvin Lee was the reason I picked up guitar but Iommi & Sabbath turned me on to metal in 7th or 8th grade. I remember the first time I heard Crazy Train on the radio I said to my friend, "That's Ozzy, but that sure as hell aint Tony Iommi." I went straight to the record store and picked up Blizzard of Ozz, got home, put it on, and was floored. Wore that one out playing it over and over again in the basement. Thank You Randy!!!!! R.I.P. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ March 20, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: StukaJU87 ]
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Whooops! Thanks Sully [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Being a big Iommi 'partisan', I didn't dig into Randy's playing until much later. But wow, he was an amazing musician, not simply a guitarist. Taken from us much too early.

Comment

glad to help!

metalchef, are you sure it was his guitar? it doesn't sound like something dee would do...she has his stuff locked up nice and tight, from what i've always been told by people who have met her.

by all means post pix!

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Karl Sandoval told me the original Sandoval V that Randy owned is now in a museum. I can't recall what museum or where, but I can ask Karl if anyone wants to know for sure. But the time I talked to Ms. Rhoads, she did say all of Randy's belongings are locked away in the house.

Mike

Comment

Randy was everything, so much more than a mere virtuoso. He embodied all that makes one a true star, and he is still shining. On a side note, he was not the founder of Quiet Riot. That would be Kevin Dubrow and Kelli Garner. No disrespect to Randy by any means, but Carlos Cavazo has always held the slot with that band. QR was popular in Japan where they released two records, but by the time QR hit it in the states, Randy had left to join Ozzy.
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

RIP
                    Would of saw Randy right before he died but Ozzy cancelled the show. I think it was BOC, Pat Travers, Ozzy, Motorhead. Everyone else made it except Ozzy.

Stucka- I saw Ten years after about 10-15 years ago, great guitar player

Comment

I have to disagree, While I know this thread isnt about "he did this or that". I distinctly remember a guitar world article from around july '87. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Where they gave a complete history and it stated Randy and Kelly Garni met in the 8th grade. It also had a story on how Kevin Dubrow came to an audition and what not. After the 2 japan records failed, Kelly Garni quit the band and became a paramedic. I must have read that article a thousand times. Anybody else remember that mag? It had Randy on the cover holding a black les paul. The cool thing is that Randy was a big enough influence on my life that here I am 15 years later talking about him. And for that. I thank Randy.. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

matt

Comment

http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/quri.htm

Guitarded is correct. Charvel750, not. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

guitarded is correct. Randy taught Kelly bass...they formed frst and hooked up with Dubrow later
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by MetalChef:
                            I went on vacation to Philly last week and in the hard rock cafe there they have his Black V.(the FIRST Jackson!)
                            I stood there for a good 20 min or so just in awe..I never realized how much he had affected me as a guitar player.

RIP Randy
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Originally posted by MetalChef:

RIP Randy
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Did you ever get that pic? Can you send me a copy? [email protected] Thanks!

Comment

Randy's been gone twenty some years and it still
                                hurts like he passed yesterday. I still get a chill everytime I listen too or see videos of him.
                                He was the quintesential metal guitarist hands down. After all this time no one has come along
                                who could hold a candle too him. His music has a
                                haunting sound that no other guitarist has achieved. Brilliant Rythyms and unrivaled leads
                                that will in history be compared to Bach and Mozart.IMO.

Ric

[ April 04, 2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Ric1983 ]

Comment

Working...
                                X