Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vito is still alive but nobody mentions him...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vito is still alive but nobody mentions him...

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jsullysix:
    i hear ya newc....imo, a talented guy who had no real personal style.

sully
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You could say the same thing about Ace Frehley.... though some would debate the
    "talented" part.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ah hell, i'll be the first one to admit that what made ace was timing, and the fact that he looked cool as hell. while certainly an influential icon of rock, he was definitely not what many would call an accomplished guitarist.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hmmm, I thought Ace kicked ass when he wasnt drunk.....Of course he was usually pissed out of his mind 99% of the time........As for Vito, I would rather hire him than EVH. At least he isnt a complete asshole, with a huge ego........

Comment

Also, Vito didn't have cool smoke bombs on his guitar! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Though I may be a wanna be/never was, I do reserve the right to "bash" those who had even one song on the radio/MTV, simply for the fact that I am a fellow musician, with a critical ear.

Having said that, yes, Vito's solos were more melodic than EVH's, which seemed IMO to be unstructured and pretty much just a collection of taps and whammy bends (VH-1, 2, Diver Down, Fair Warning), though there were some definitely nice melodic solos in there (Runnin with the Devil, for one) . Eruption was one of those "this is everything I can do" warmup routines that he played and someone caught on tape. Yes it's got fire and attitude, but from a technical standpoint, it's wanking.

Ace was not even there for most of KISS' studio work after they hit it big - he was admittedly out partying while everyone else was recording. Bob Kulick's a way better player, and they should have booted Ace and hired him. The solos he did on three of the four studio tracks on Alive II are better than any of Ace's solos on the rest of the double-album set(!)
          But at least Ace did more than just wear his guitar. Paul Stanley just had a large wooden necklace [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i pretty much agree with ya newc, but you're off on the ace stuff. as you said, he didn't play on a few of the alive II studio tracks. bob kulick and rick derringer did. derringer did the solo on larger than life, and bob did all american man, any way you want it, and rockin in the usa. and yeah, they smoked. ace at that time had enough of being in kiss, and this was right around the time he and peter originally wanted to leave the band (kiss meets the phantom time). so when they were recording these studio songs for alive II, he wasn't too interested and had other things he'd rather be doing....like getting loaded.

the only other song that ace didn't solo on was sweet pain, which was on destroyer. i don't count the creatures of the night record as one while he was in the band, because he wasn't, really. they used his pic on the cover while they were trying to negotiate with ace to keep him in the band. other than that, ace played on everything they put out.

end of kisstory lesson.

sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ah, I like Ace too, because he was cool back then. He was also Remedial Rock Guitar 101 - after playing for 3 months
              the average wannabe kid could feel like he was a rock star, because that's about
              how long it takes to learn all the techniques Ace uses. Barre chords and the pentatonic minor scale, that is.

I disagree that Vito's solos are more structured than EVH's; it's just that EVH
              is a bit more abstract in what he plays.
              Holdsworth fan; whattaya gon' do? Vito is to EVH as Cavazo is to Rhoads, though
              the gulf between EVH and Vito is yards wide wheras it's miles wide between Cavazo and Rhoads. Vito was a devotee
              of a 'religion' that Ed started. His solos played it safe, just as Mike Tramp
              was a sanitized-for-MTV version of DLR.
              The real McCoy worked without a net.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

IMO Vito is simple, clean, very melodic, careful with the sound, creative, flexible... I think its just the feelinf he put in his music... wait!... that solo is just simply immaculate and all the guitar riffs are awesome. Tell me!...

I dont care too much about Van Halen simply because I never felt too atracted to his work. That being said I dont care too much about White Lion either other than the guitar... I wish I could take out the rest of the band on my CDs.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I can't believe anybody is debating Kiss's or Ace's musicianship. Kiss wrote songs everyone could play and sing, then went out a gave great shows. Ace is just flat out cool and Kiss to me Kiss isn't Kiss without him. I am not that big a fan of non-ace albums, or even the biggest Kiss fan. I agree there are a lot of better player's than Ace. But, so what. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Vito had a couple cool songs , end of story. Although I wouldn't be caught by anyone today listening to Wait or whatever that other popular song was. Pretty girly music ain't no more. I agree with NEWC his solo's just seemed like a couple of hooked together techniques, no soul.

[ March 23, 2003, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: LRGman ]

Comment

I think we're all being harsh on ACE and VITO.
                    We all know there are LEGIONS of imitaters out there. They still had what it took to make it in a dog-eat-dog business.
                    Personally, I can't stand KISS. I'm from Detroit and puke at the thought of having to hear "Detroit Rock City".
                    We think it's a joke cus there still is no "95" to cruise down ANYWHERE in the city of Detroit or ANYWHERE in the state of Michigan for that matter [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    AND, how could anyone take VITO serious with a lead singer who was equally as pretty as Lita Ford?
                    The point is Vito and Ace got up there and did someting that millions of us only dream we could do. And that isn't from being in the right place at the right time, nor is just luck.
                    Whether we like these guys or not, they have substance or we wouldn't be discussing them in a public Forum.
                    VITO runs a HUGE musicians web-site which the name eludes me at the moment.It is a classifeids site mainly for musicians seeking bands and that sort of thing.
                    As for ACE, he is a legend and will forever be a legend regardless of his techincal ability or lack-there-of. Sometimes being the first to do someting is actually better then being the best at something. As a matter of fact, it's what seperates the ACE crowd from the VITO crowd.
                    ACE was orignal yet "simple"(I'm being nice hear)
                    Vito was Technically outstanding but an imitater of the first one to accomplish something new(EVH)
                    None-the-less, I respect them both cus they had there name up in lights baby..

Comment

lemme clarify....being someone who IS ace in a tribute band, i'm not knockin the guy at all. i'd much rather listen to him than....well, lots of other people.

as far as the 95 thing goes, chuck...it's "movin fast, doin' 95" as in miles per hour... not referring to a specific highway. anyway....

sully

www.kisstribute.com
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'd also like to clarify: I have nothing at all against Ace. I was just throwing
                        a smart-alecky comeback up there because
                        Vito took a couple of jabs in what was started as a Vito appreciation thread.

Actually, The Move were doing the Kabuki makeup before KISS, so Ace was doing the
                        same thing as Vito in that regard. Not an originator, but an imitator. KISS is a circus and a Monster Truck Rally, not just a band, so they're in a different category than most bands.

Gene and Paul could sell snow to the Eskimos, that's for sure!
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

not as of yet, no...we're basically midwest at the moment.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

sully, you guys ever go near nc?i've got some old kiss freaks in the family [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Working...
                            X