No announcement yet.

Major gripe about current archtops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine is a 2006. So they are still doing them.

Plus the burlwood ATs over at MusicZoo also looked to be "soft" angles.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
      I personally love both of the styles as I have the "soft" and the "hard" designs. It's just a different look but I must admit, that even though they offer the soft top, I've yet to see a recent one. Anyone??
      Here is the thread that started this discussion.

Sorry it's early and I mirread your post. My post adds nothing LOL

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64088
      Last edited by VinceV; 12-30-2006, 11:26 AM.
      Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Budman, they're definitely less common, but they have done a few recently. Here's one that, IIRC, was at NAMM a while back:

Comment

Originally posted by VinceV View Post
          Here is the thread that started this discussion.

Sorry it's early and I mirread your post. My post adds nothing LOL

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64088
          lol! no problem, I actually missed that thread as I've been preoccupied with family stuff lately, thanks so much for pointing that out, it's friggin beautiful!!! Congrats to you on a well spec'd out instrument!!

Thank also to you, Pat for the link, that is a beauty and I do remember seeing that now. Only thing that puppy is missing is the recessed controls and a mother of pearl truss rod cover and I'd be in love- lol!
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

danastas, thank you so much for posting the shop pics.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

No problem. I got those from the portfolio with my CS SAT. Best guitar I've ever played, and that includes quite a few pricier Fender masterbuilts, GMPs, Les Paul 59 historics, PRS anniversaries, etc.

Comment

Personally I could care less about what/how they make the archtop. If I'm spending big money on a guitar I dont care how much the tools cost, its the people doing it and the skills imo.

And theres obviously different types of archtop available, I like them all, absolutely loving the hard edges on the white one, it adds to the design overall. And thats what you get from the best luthiers building the nicest guitars. The catalogue pic makes sense, and I was gonna say they'd rough out the lines like that and smooth it on a rotodrum? disc sanding thingo. Obviously my lack of woodworking is why I fully support paying money for guys like Pablo to work their magic

Comment

Yeah, those CS pics were very interesting. Thanks!

Comment

Both the old and new style ATs have their appeal. I like 'em both.

Comment

hey vince did you specify for the archtop to be like that or did it just happen that way
                      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

great pics, and thanks for sharing but he really ought to be wearing glasses or at least a face shield when using the sanders, why chance it?
                        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                          hey vince did you specify for the archtop to be like that or did it just happen that way
                          It just happened. I was not even aware I had a choice. I perosnally feel this style archtop works best with the style of guitar I got. It looks like what I had wanted it to look like when I was putting the ideas together in my head.

If I had ordered a quilt/flame top in a burst or natural, I think the soft arch would look better on a guitar like that.
                          Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

I like 'em both!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

goddamnit vince, that guitar is drop dead gorgeous!!!

the pickup combo (H/S) is my fav and the slanted fretboard is perfect. exactly what i want. no inlay ebony board, reverse headstock... damnit dude!

GASSSSSSSSSS

very very very nice!
                              You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

oh i was just curious..... that be a nice surprise when you open the case for the first time.. it grew on me especially when you pointed it out that it would look better soft arch if it wasn't a solid color
                                "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Working...
                                X