No announcement yet.

7-string question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres a pic of my USA Kelly (6 string). I complained about the quality of the trem route back when I first got it. Although the Floyd isn't center in the route, it doesn't touch the sides and the pole pieces/neck do aligned correctly so it wasn't reason enough for me to send it back. IMO it shouldn't look like this. Same with Newc's. If it stays aligned, I probably wouldn't worry with sending it back. gl

Comment

After you pulled on the neck to get the strings aligned, how aligned is the bottom of the neck with the neck pu?

Comment

id send it back because you just paid a crap lo, money but then again i'd hate to have to wait longer.........
        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

WOW I would be sending them both back ASAP. There is no way a custom shop guitar should have flaws like that. Ive seen better built korean guitars from a factory with no QC. Thats un acceptable IMHO.

I dont think I will be buying a custom shop from Jackson with that crap coming out of it. You waited 16 months for that POS. I guess we now know why they have pulled out of the ask jackson forum. Dang dudes. That is absolutly piss poor QC. I could see the mistakes from a mass produced factory but these are supposed to be the best made guitars there is. Maybe they used a crooked drill bit to drill the floyd holes

Comment

Bolt-on necks can be moved side to side easily if you loosen the bolts, then hold the neck in place while you tighten them again. The holes in the pocket allow a hair of tilt for the bolts (even on the imports, which are known to have threaded holes inthe pocket).

As for the string/pole alignment - it's perfect on the neck pickup, but I guess Duncan doesn't make a 7-string-trem-spaced Distortion, because the bridge pickup only lines up under the last 3 or 4 strings.
            BUT, Distortions are hot enough that you don't need perfect alignment, and I don't care for the tone of a trem-spaced Distortion anyway. There's something wrong with the magnetic field or the extra length of the coils that makes them sound too different for me.

I don't mind the long wait from sending it back - it'd give me more time to think of some reason to actually use the 7th string
            But someone around here sent one back and didn't get it back for almost 2 years, IIRC. If I do send it back, it's be for a complete rebuild to fix everything, and I'll have to have a legally-binding completion date in writing first, because there's no way I'm going to accept the notion that other orders will take precedence while mine sits in the junk corner awaiting the next buyout.

Here's how it looks now:

Last edited by Newc; 01-01-2007, 03:13 PM.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That looks a little better Matt. I'd think about slipping a super thin shim on the bass side of the neck pocket cavity for stability though......it's probably what they'd do for a fix anyways.
              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

seems to me, like pablo over there at jackson custom, is getting careless i'd imagine you shelled out between 1500 and 1700. id be getting customer care on the speaker phone ASAP.get like a discount or something
                "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                  seems to me, like pablo over there at jackson custom, is getting careless i'd imagine you shelled out between 1500 and 1700. id be getting customer care on the speaker phone ASAP.get like a discount or something
                  I cost more than that.

And there's not enough sidewall in the pocket on the treble side to put a shim.

Just before I tilted the neck, I was able to slide a piece of paper between the neck and the sidewall of the pocket on the bass side about halfway down the length of the heel. Now I can't get it in there, and it won't slide into the treble side either.

I think some folks might be going a bit overboard with the comments, though. It's not like every single guitar they make comes out like this, and it's certainly not 10%. It's one out of how many? Maybe 5? Of course we're not hearing from everyone who ordered a Custom Shop this year (well, last year ), so I'm not jumping on the bandwagon and bashing Jackson for it. I've already said that pulling the neck fixed it well enough, though I still have concerns about the structural integrity of that.

I've contacted Matt and have asked him to get Jackson's opinion on the matter, and I've explained all that's been said in this thread and the other one in the USA Jackson section, so I'll wait and see what they say.

Thanks for the concern and all, but there's no need to throw rocks at them for something that happens once in a while. Yes, it happens on Chinese knockoffs, yes it happens to PRS, Fender, Gibson, and everyone else, and yes, they get out the door that way. It happens, so everyone unbunch the panties.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    I've contacted Matt and have asked him to get Jackson's opinion on the matter, and I've explained all that's been said in this thread and the other one in the USA Jackson section, so I'll wait and see what they say.

Thanks for the concern and all, but there's no need to throw rocks at them for something that happens once in a while. Yes, it happens on Chinese knockoffs, yes it happens to PRS, Fender, Gibson, and everyone else, and yes, they get out the door that way. It happens, so everyone unbunch the panties.
                    I think your on the right track. See what matt says and also wait to see if the neck stays put. I would have a hard time sending it back and would probably just live with it.

Comment

I agree Newc, things like this do happen from time to time with any company. I'm sure that Jackson will make good with getting it right too. Everything I've personally seen come out of the US shop lately has been top notch, including your War Angel and my KV2T.
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        Hey Newc,

I was wondering about your Warrior; I hope the difficulties got resolved.

In the muck up with the neck alignment, I don't think you ever gave the guitar a proper review. Any chance you feel like telling us things like: how you found the wider neck; if you thought the bolt on neck gave it the punchier sound you were looking for; have you got hooked on 7s; how do you find the pickups and the floyd; and so forth?

Sorry if the thread resurrection irritates you. I've been getting GAS for a blood splatter Warrior, remembered yours and came back across this thread only to find it ended without ending. Next I'll be bothering Sully for updated on how the repairs to his JCF01 are coming along!

Cheers,

Ken

Comment

Dude, send that guitar back. Having to tweak the neck to one side, which will result in finish cracking in the neck joint, it just totally unacceptable for a USA Custom made Jackson. In the long run you'll be more happy with a correctly built guitar, even if you have to wait another 6 months for them to get it right.

Comment

Working...
                          X