Pickup Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Opinions

I'm thinking of putting a Dimarzio Super distortion, at the bridge possition of a model 1. It's an old pickup. I would value peoples opinions. Maybe somone has done it and can tell me how it will sound. I havn't got the pup yet

Well, a Super Distortion is a classic. Alot of guys from the seventies and eighties used them extensively, ranging from Al DiMeola to Ace Frehley and Dave Murray. If you´re looking for classic rock and/or hard rock tone it´s got it in spades. I´ve seen it work well in both LP´s and strats, and it should work just fine in a Model 1. How it will work for you is of course more an issue of what you want to hear than anything else, but I can at least say that I like it.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a go

Comment

You definitely should! Trying out different pickups is probably the cheapest and easiest way to improve your tone, and sometimes you get really surprised by which ones that end up working the best for your fingers, ears and the rest of your gear. Point in case is that a friend of mine searched high and low for the right pickup to go in his Peavey Vandenberg, and eventually found it in a Ibanez V8. Go figure!

Comment

There's a reason why the SD is still being made 35 years after it's introduction. I put one in my Ibanez RG560 in 1988 and when I wanted to replace the pup in the Kelly Pro Std I picked up a few months ago, there was no question of the pup I was buying. Now I just have to figure out this soldering business so I don't do the cut and electrical tape job I did on my Ibanez. :ROTF:
          My gear
          87 Charvel Model 6
          86 Charvel Model 4
          93 Jackson RR EX
          93 Jackson Kelly STD
          88 Ibanez RG560
          99 Schecter Diamond C-7
          Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Working...
          X