DiMarzio Super3 for my Jackson???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Super3 for my Jackson???

I`m gonna be doing a pup swap on my DXMGT (came with the EMG-HZ`s) and i`ve been scratching my head about what pups to go for...(Seymour Duncan,DiMarzio,EMG,ect...) anyway, i`ve been hearing some good things about the DiMarzio Super3 pickup and was looking for some opinions from anyone who has it or has had any experience with it. Thanks!!!

I love them, they have high output with the high end cut back a bit. If you like alot of treble then this pup may not be for you. The Tone Zone is a more balanced sounding pup.
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
      I love them, they have high output with the high end cut back a bit. If you like alot of treble then this pup may not be for you. The Tone Zone is a more balanced sounding pup.
      Sounds good to me........I use the bridge pup for heavy rhythms so treble isn`t something i`m looking for! The EMG-HZ`s sound a bit weak and lifeless now that i`ve spent some time with the guitar. From what i`ve been hearing,the Super 3 might just be what i`m looking for but i`m trying to get as much input as i can first!
      Last edited by Metaled1020; 01-04-2007, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Why don't you try the Dimarzio Super Distortion. It's similar to the Super II but with a little more "beef." I put one in my Charvel 375 and it sounds awesome for hard rock / metal.

Guitars:
        Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
        1988 Model 2,
        Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
        RR3
        Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
        2005 SG Special

Comment

I have one but haven't gotten off of my dead ass and installed it yet. Sorry.

Comment

The Super II is cool but adds treble, a regular SuperDistortion is the original, came out in the 70's. The Super III and II are different eq's done to the SD! Super III cuts treble, Super II adds it. Go to the Dimarzio site, all their pups have a nice bar graph eq describing the sound!
            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Never tried the Super 3, but I love the Super 2 in the neck (I like brighter neck pups) with either a regular Super D in the bridge or an X2N. I'm sure the Super 3 would also pair up nicely with the Super 2 in the neck.
              To me, warmer/darker sounding bridge pups work better with brighter pups in the neck. I'm also a huge Tone Zone fan.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Never tried the Super 3, but I love the Super 2 in the neck (I like brighter neck pups) with either a regular Super D in the bridge or an X2N. I'm sure the Super 3 would also pair up nicely with the Super 2 in the neck.
                To me, warmer/darker sounding bridge pups work better with brighter pups in the neck. I'm also a huge Tone Zone fan.
                There`s a good idea....Super3 bridge and Super2 neck.....problem solved!!! Well, still not 100% decided but i am getting closer!
                I do think that i always get waaaayyyyy too involved about these somewhat simple things as any pup from DiMarzio,Duncan.ect...would be a vast improvement over the HZ`s!!!
                Last edited by Metaled1020; 01-04-2007, 08:42 PM.

Comment

+1 for the Tone Zone! Great pup! I generally use a Super III with a trem bolt neck guitar (my DK2M) and the TZ with neck throughs although I am thinking about trying out the TZ in my Model 2 with a blocked trem! I have a Breed in her now but I feel that it is too smooth and nice for me, the TZ has more grind!

Comment

I thought about the Tone Zone but i had a MusicMan Axis SS which comes stock with what is basically a TZ in the bridge and although it sounded very good,i`d like to get something different!

Comment

The Super III is a PERFECT match IMO for the DK2M, the PC1 comes with the Super III stock. I get a very tight metal sound with it!

Comment

I'm going to put a SD on my model 1 soon

Comment

Most of my guitars have Super 3's in them.
                          Great tone and smooth mids.
                          Has a nice growl to it.
                          Go with a TZ or Super 2 if you want something with a bit more high end bite to it.
                          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                            Most of my guitars have Super 3's in them.
                            Great tone and smooth mids.
                            Has a nice growl to it.
                            Go with a TZ or Super 2 if you want something with a bit more high end bite to it.
                            Isn`t the Super 2 mainly a neck pup?

Comment

Originally posted by Metaled1020 View Post
                              Isn`t the Super 2 mainly a neck pup?
                              You can put it wherever you want.
                              For example... Lots of guys like to use an EMG 85 in the bridge position as well... it's "supposed" to be a neck pup, but sounds killer in the bridge position.
                              Same goes for the 81... lots of guys will drop them into the neck spot... me included.
                              It's all about the sound YOU want to achieve.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X