Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new (used) Jackson

Hi all,

I just got a used Jackson Soloist today, and thought I'd share some pics, and ask for a little more info about my guitar.

It's a black Soloist, serial number is J800480. The headstock says Soloist Std on the truss rod cover, and also Jackson professional. Has 1 Hum and 2 singles. Rosewood fretboad with dot inlays and no binding on the headstock or neck. The guitar is in pretty good shape, a couple of dings on the back, and some pic scratches on the front. The neck profile is awesome, and whoever set it up last did a good job.

Attached should be some quick pics I took. I hope they're not too big.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Re: My new (used) Jackson

sweet guitar. Nice one [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Nice guitar,

How does she sound?

Congratz. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Sounds great! I've been playing it for about an hour now. So far the hum sounds really good. The single coils seem a bit thin, of course, I'm not used to a guitar with single coils (my other 2 are dual hums), so I gotta tweak my amp to find a good sound for them.

For some reason, it wants to keep playing 80's "metal" riffs. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Very nice! Congrats! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Can't tell you much, except that it's japanese! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anders
          https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

After doing a couple searches on this board, I think this is a Japanese Soloist Student model. The place I bought it from (it was on consignment) said the person selling said it was about 15 years old. With the first serial number being an 8, I think that means that this guitar was manufactured in 1988. Of course, I'm not an expert on this. From a couple of other threads I've read, this is a student model as indicated by the lack of binding, and that it doesn't have the sharkfin inlays (plus it has Jackson pickups). After having played it a couple of days, this is an excellent guitar. If it's is 15 or so years old, it's in excellent shape.

The only problem, is now I want a USA soloist. Guess it's time to start saving up..

Comment

No, it's a Solist Std, like it says on the truss rod cover. A Student model is the USA designation for non bound, non sharkie models (ie, Student vs. Custom....the designations used on USA models in the early to mid 80s). A minor point.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yup Japanese Soloist Std. I have one just like it but I replaced the bridge pup with a Duncan Distortion and OMG it's a frikking monster. Tone for days and enough sustain to sterilize a hamster at 100 yards. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I love it. They are great guitars and very well made. Poplar wings Maple neck thru with rosewood boards. Medium Jumbo frets and a JT590LP trem.
                Gil

Comment

Std means "Standard", by the way. The Student models are ancient USA models that look like the Japanese-made Standard models, though some Students did have graphics like the Customs.
                  The Students were about $300-$500 cheaper than the Customs, but that wasn't really a savings considering the Customs were going for $1500-$2400 back in the 80's [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for clarifying what my guitar is. This one is my second Jackson, and my first Soloist. (I also have a JS30.)

Now I can't wait to get another Soloist !

BTW, I didn't string it like this. The strings on it are brand new, and I haven't changed them yet.

[ March 24, 2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: EvDog ]

Comment

Yeah I noticed how it was strung. When I got my Kelly it was strung similar to your soloist. All wrong and backwards and stuff. HMMMm I wonder if it was the same guy who owned them both. Or maybe they just went to the same school of how not to restring a gutar.
                      Gil

Comment

Actually that method is fairly common. (Ball ends on the H/S tuners)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                          Actually that method is fairly common. (Ball ends on the H/S tuners)
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">true...i'd like to take up a collection and get those backward-stringers some wire cutters! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

sully
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

my old guitarist strung his that way so the cheap ass could reuse the string when he broke it.he also would buy one string at a time!but he kept it in tune and shredded his ass off.
                            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Yeah that's what my bud Marty from Hangar 18 does.

http://www.megadethtribute.com/martybio.asp

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X